• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency keeps trying to treat me like an employee

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agency keeps trying to treat me like an employee

Another gem from the agency. Whilst chasing up payment for last month's timesheets, he tells me:

As regards to your payment the contractor portal will be able to confirm what date you are due to be paid, if you would like an emergency payment of 60% of that wage tomorrow please let me know and I will process that but it will be emergency taxed.
    Wage? Emergency taxed?

I politely replied to say I wasn't sure what he was talking about, since I'm not an employee and my company handles its own tax affairs. Is this just simple ignorance on the part of the agency individual who can't make the clear separation in their own mind, or something to worry about?

This is the second time I've had to remind them I'm not an employee bound by employee concerns. Same guy both times; are they just a bit thick?

Care to name & shame?
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Did you get your contract checked for IR35? Let's hope their incompetence isn't mirrored in that.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

It's _probably_ safe to do so. Pontoon.

The contract looks very typical to me. I've opted-in, has substitution clauses, mentions the requirement to pay me even if not received from client, etc. Nothing to create confusion.

Their organisational skills haven't impressed me from the start though. I'm the kind to provide extremely detailed and complete documentation as soon as it's requested, and then I poke them to move things along, but everything still took a long time to get finalised. The cherry was being accused of having not provided my ID in person at their office for manual verification 3 days before the contract started. I replied to tell them I attended their offices three weeks previously, by appointment, and could even tell them that they were having their water cooler serviced at that hour on that day if they wanted to double-check

Comment

The good news is they will pay all your tax. Make sure you get a P60 at the end of the year. Happy days.

Comment

For the avoidance of doubt I've emailed this kid back to make him confirm that he understands that my company is acting as a Service Provider and that I'm not an employee of either his agency or their client. He's probably just a noob that doesn't appreciate the not so subtle but important distinction.

Let's say in the worst case scenario he replies to say that derp, they actually consider me to be 'basically' an employee; I walk right? I'm not hanging around in a contract if the Agency can't even get it straight.

Comment

Originally posted by cloudcontractor View Post
              For the avoidance of doubt I've emailed this kid back to make him confirm that he understands that my company is acting as a Service Provider and that I'm not an employee of either his agency or their client. He's probably just a noob that doesn't appreciate the not so subtle but important distinction.

Let's say in the worst case scenario he replies to say that derp, they actually consider me to be 'basically' an employee; I walk right? I'm not hanging around in a contract if the Agency can't even get it straight.
              Yes, walk. And tell both the client and the agency's MD why you are doing so. We need to start kicking off big time about the sheer ineptness of 90% of agency staff.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Another gem from the agency.
                are they just a bit thick?

Comment

Had you raised an invoice with VAT added etc. etc?

Comment

Had you raised an invoice with VAT added etc. etc?

Comment

Working...
                    X