• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

P11D - Mileage Expenses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

P11D - Mileage Expenses

Hi all,

Just a general enquiry on the P11D form. For mileage expenses paid to and from a fixed place of work in my own car as a contractor where would i add it on the P11D form as I have received conflicting advice!

One told me to add it in Section M and another told me to add it to Section E?

Section E in the guide states that it has to be the excess over and above the approved amount for each, which is exempt
    from tax.

Section M appaers to be for subscriptions but the advice i am getting has confused me. Its an allowable expense and so i dont want to pay Class 1A NIC or tax on it so where do i add it..if anyone can help

Thanks

If you're talking about AMAP (mileage payments up to the prescribed rates) for business travel (i.e. business meetings or travel to and from a temporary place of work) then these are exempt from tax and do not need to be reported on a P11D at all.

If you are paying yourself mileage for travel to a permanent place of work (i.e. ordinary commuting) then these payments are taxable as a BIK.

Comment

Thanks, it was to and from a temporary place of work for 10 months in tax year 2017/18

So I just send the P11D blank, sign and date it and send it back to HMRC? Sound a bit odd having to do that!

Comment

Doesn't your accountant handle all this for you?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

The advice on secton E and M was from accountants which is why I was confused, so i just send it unfilled and signed to HMRC?

Comment

Mileage

Originally posted by Brazilian View Post
            The advice on secton E and M was from accountants which is why I was confused, so i just send it unfilled and signed to HMRC?
            Agree with CP.....as long as your mileage is at approved rates AND relate to business travel only, you don't need to declare these on the form. Sign and return to the tax office.

Comment

Originally posted by Brazilian View Post
              Thanks, it was to and from a temporary place of work for 10 months in tax year 2017/18

So I just send the P11D blank, sign and date it and send it back to HMRC? Sound a bit odd having to do that!
              There isn’t any need to submit a blank P11D. You simply indicate on your final PAYE submission that you received no expenses (so long as everything was covered by exemptions). I haven’t had to submit one for years (even before the new exemption system I had a dispensation for most expenses).

Comment

Thanks guys, I will do that and find new accountants...albeit these were friends of mine..so much for friends! Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                X