• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC Location contest - still an issue if you live in London?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC Location contest - still an issue if you live in London?

Howdy folks,

I've just been reading a few thread from search here and noticed some people having issues with HMRC complaining that "City of London" is their normal place of business and they should have moved closer to their.

This argument is in the context of a Limited Co. employee expensing significant sums for transport from up the country. The HMRC audited and argued that the transport expense was not legitimate and billed accordingly!

Anyway, my query is basic enough. Is this type of concern around location and place of business only something for people commuting for larger distances to the same general are for multiple contracts.

For example, I find it difficult to believe that the HMRC would not be arguing the same point for somebody living fairly central and commuting into City and around for multiple contracts. For example, my residence in SW4 should be considered to be pretty much the same general area as London City etc?

Just a quick sanity check for me as I am still starting out..

Thanks folks.

P.S. I've used search and not come across this particular query.

Read the sticky on the 24 month stuff. It's all about the journey. If you make substantially the same journey then you're going to the same place as far as the rules are concerned.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      Read the sticky on the 24 month stuff. It's all about the journey. If you make substantially the same journey then you're going to the same place as far as the rules are concerned.
      Thread was staring me in the face.. thanks!

Comment

Working...
      X