• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IPSE Membership - Standard vs Plus vs other insurance?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IPSE Membership - Standard vs Plus vs other insurance?

Hey guys,

i've been a little slow lately to look into advised memberships etc. It has been suggested that I join IPSE, which seems good.

So I am a little unclear as to the tangible benefits once insurance is removed.

I like the sounds of the newsletter and helplines etc, and including the tax investigation cover it's not bad for £176+VAT - I will go for that for sure.

It is pretty clear to me anyway that the Plus package is basically an insurance up-sell and with that in mind, I am curious about how it competes with other types of insurance packages.

For example, i'm wondering would I potentially be better off getting the Standard membership then getting insurance cover from somewhere else, which may be potentially better? I'm just curious to see if there are any other insurance products that may better for the £100 quid.

I suspect that IPSE could potentially be in a great to offer the best pricing and given their "union type ethos" but you never know these days..

Thanks guys

it's not insurance, it's protection, advice and assistance plus lobbying effort. You won't match the membership package cost with a mix of equivalent other products, and you may well recover that membership cost with their discount purchasing offers.

HTH
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      it's not insurance, it's protection, advice and assistance plus lobbying effort. You won't match the membership package cost with a mix of equivalent other products, and you may well recover that membership cost with their discount purchasing offers.

HTH
      Thanks, I kind of figured as much!

Comment

Get 15% off your first year via my linky below...

I'd go for the plus cover personally but do a full comparison and see if the extras are worth it - the £5k free life assurance cover is worth the membership alone.

Comment

Get a 100% off with my linky below.

Have a think about where IPSE's lobbying has got contractors in the last 10 years and don't buy a package on the basis you might get your money back if you eat enough free pizza.

Having members tout for IPSE business when they are getting kick backs as well - is this in the spirit of the forums here ?

Comment

Originally posted by radish2008 View Post

Have a think about where IPSE's lobbying has got contractors in the last 10 years and don't buy a package on the basis you might get your money back if you eat enough free pizza.

Having members tout for IPSE business when they are getting kick backs as well - is this in the spirit of the forums here ?
            Compete rubbish

For one thing, how do you prove something that hasn't happened? Because several things have not happened as a result of their efforts, such as disallowing all expenses for Ltd Co contractors for one... There are others. But sine you don't follow their work, how would you know...

Kick backs? Yeah right, all those £10 Amazon vouchers I would never use anyway. Whoop-di-f***ing-doo. FWIW I haven't ever signed up to the Member-get-Member scheme, so that argument doesn't really work either.

Perhaps save your spleen for the downright untruths and lies that HMRC are telling HMG and how many PS workers are inside IR35 and paying £100ms of undue taxes as a result of blanket decisions that, again according to HMRC, aren't happening. And for a government that prefers to believe their unelected civil servants ahead of several thousand real world examples.

HTH. BISDI
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Spot on. Ask yourself, whose interests come first? Yours or the "business confidential" relationships they indulge in in the name of the members but will not reveal the financial kick backs from such relationships. I'm afraid, since the PCG high point with Arctic Systems, that organisation has become nothing but a self serving gravy train. Snouts in the trough? Oh yes. (Disclosure - ex-long time member and critic).
              Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
              Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

By opting for the discount option, I don't get any "kick back". I'd rather someone try it for a little less than receive an Amazon gift card.

Comment

It's good advice to get it IMO so as long as the advice is sound then why not get the kick back as well?
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Ignore the squabbling.

If you are looking at it from purely selfish reasons the jury cover would pay for itself if you got called up. You can search the forums whether the IR35 cover is worth it.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X