• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SC Clearance Validity

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SC Clearance Validity

Can anyone figure out why an SC Clearance certificate is valid for 10 years, yet employers will only validate this without a one year break?

Originally posted by whirlpool View Post
    Can anyone figure out why an SC Clearance certificate is valid for 10 years, yet employers will only validate this without a one year break?
    That's Just the Way It Is...

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/security...-and-clearance
    I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Because those are the rules. If you are out of an environment that requires clearance for more than 12 months then the clearance lapses. The reasoning is that while working in a cleared environment you can be monitored for changes in circumstances of behaviour that might indicate that your clearance has been compromised in some way. Once you leave the cleared environment that monitoring can't happen so your clearance can no longer be trusted. 12 months is an arbitrary cut off to allow some flexibility between jobs.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

If they told you they'd have to kill you.

Rulez is rulez.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Think yourself lucky you got ten years clearance. Folks I applied alongside often only got five with little rhyme or reason as to why.

Fortunately I’ve managed to transfer mine from my perm role to contract as it can be a tick in the box to already have it. Maintaining it though can limit opportunities because you need a sponsor. Folks who have posted are right though, all about being able to demonstrate being under specific controls.

Comment

Mine was given for 7 years - go figure.

I reckon there's a boatload of money available if someone finds some way to offer a service to keep it current.

Comment

Originally posted by man View Post
              Mine was given for 7 years - go figure.

I reckon there's a boatload of money available if someone finds some way to offer a service to keep it current.
              There is a urban myth which get passed around the SC circuit that a government affiliated company offers you to join them as a partner for SC and you pay them a yearly stipend to keep it active.

Now I call this out as tulip (And to be honest UKSV would have noticed it a mile off) but still I think if it was true someone has indeed clocked it in regards to your statement but raises really ugly questions on security if this was true.

Comment

Working...
              X