• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ltd company questions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ltd company questions

Hello,
    I set up a limited company a bit more than a year ago.
    I was busy with my current day job so did not do much, except for 2 small projects in my freetime, totalling £1000.
    I have no employees, and I'm the only director.
    I did not register for PAYE as the companyw as pretty much dormat, but what I did is keep 20% of that 1000 for corporation tax, and transferred the 800 to myself as a dividend.

Question 1: I assume this is acceptable, or did I actually have to register for PAYE?
    Can the director do some minor work for 0 salary, and get a bit of dividend or not?

Now, there might be two more projects coming, which could in total make around £2000 (in grand total).
    I'm now thinking of signing up for PAYE, and paying myself a salary of around £500 monthly for say 3 months.

Question 2: if I do that, do I have to pay myself 500 every month non stop? what if I get no more projects after that? In which case, do I have to make myself redudant and get a P45?
    Or is it acceptable to be paid occasionally on PAYE depending on projects?

Question 3: the other option is to pay myself 1500 out of the 2000 as dividend, and again not register for PAYE. But I hope to keep the possibility of other smaller projects open and hence why I think a dividend-only would not be acceptable to the taxman right?

Question 4: What are the deductions that would be deducted from these small projects if I get them, and run PAYE?
    I assume (a) company pays salary + employer NI contribution (unless exempt for small salaries?) + corporation tax on profits, (b) employee pays income tax + national insurance.
    Should there be pension contributions also by both company and myself?

Question 5: How to best handle PAYE with almost no cost? Quickbooks? Or HMRC's basic tools? I read that accountants can do it for £5 a run?

I feel like this ltd business is a bit too much hassle, and I don't want it to affect my current full time job.

Question 6: I understand that if I'm employed by the ltd company, as a second employment, tax code would be BR (20% straight on all). Now what happens if I change my day job? Would the new job's tax code indicate to their HR that I have another job (i.e. because switching would have happened after I've salaried myself in my limited company?). In which case, perhaps best is to wait on the side projects / limited co, until I've possibly changed the day job?

Thank you

You don't have to operate payroll if you're not receiving a salary, however, it may not be the best way, and it's probably safest to pay yourself minimum wage. Use HMRC's basis tools.

It's probably not worth the hassel of a ltd.co. with your setup. Have you considered being self-employed for the projects outside of your day job?

You should also check your employment contract to make sure you're not in breach by taking on outside work. Usually it's a condition that your employer must give permission.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

TL;DR. Can't you just be a sole trader for that much money?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Yes, self employment is an option but this is my first company and I'd like to give it an initial boost.
        Sorry if my post was long, but I think key questions I'd like your opinion on please are:

- If I sign up for PAYE, do I have to pay myself every month or can it be variable on a month by month basis?

- Say £X comes in every month -- what do I lose out of that amount? employer NI contribution, employee NI, employee income tax. Anything else? is pension mandatory in this case?

- If I employ myself in this new ltd company (call it B) (current day job (call it A) allows that), then I change my day job, would the new job (call it D) automatically be taxed at BR and indicate that I have an employment with B although I quit A?

Thank you

Comment

You really need an accountant to go through all this with you. Which will cost you around 2k as it happens
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
          X