• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Claiming a Laptop...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Claiming a Laptop...

Hi All – this is my first post so please be gentle....

After almost 18 months with my Limited Co provider (Gabem), and following the advice posted here from SJD / Nixon Williams et al, I decided to go solo and recently setup my own Limited Company (probably the best decision i've ever made following Gordon's announcement last week!).

I think I’m pretty much there in terms of subsistence (yes I’m keeping ALL my receipts & only claiming the ACTUAL costs incurred), definition of a temporary workplace, dividend payments etc but I’m really struggling with capital items and in particular how Gabem ‘treated’ the expense claim I put through in Feb this year for a Laptop.

To keep things simple, let’s say the laptop cost me £1,000. I submitted this expense to Gabem via their standard expense claim form and sure enough the following Friday, I received £1,000 back before Corp Tax (and with no IT or NI payable by me) from the Limited Company that Gabem administered on my behalf.

From my recent readings (and please correct me if this is wrong!), I thought that Capital Items such as a laptop should not be fully ‘expensed’ through the Profit & Loss Account of the Limited Company but instead put on the Balance Sheet as an asset of that Limited Company – of which only 50% could be passed through the Company and therefore paid back to me?

Thinking about it logically, it does make sense that if an employee buys a company Laptop from his/her own back pocket, the company should fully reimburse that employee for the expense. But in order to calculate the CT liability (and therefore the dividends payable to me), the Gabem Ltd Comp should surely only put through £500 and not £1000 using my example above?

Any help with this would be very welcome, cheers....

For a laptop then upto 31/03/07 your company can claim 50% capital allowances in year 1, then at 25% pa in subsequent years. The 50% allowance may be extended in the Budget but there is no guarantee.

The company will still get full tax relief but is it simply spread over a few years.

I hope this clears up your query.

Alan

Comment

What happens after April 07? And does the same apply to a desktop PC?
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Cheers Alan.

My question really though is how can Gabem work out the CT liability using a 100% 'capital allowance' (i.e £1,000 was paid back in full to me as an expense claim for the laptop)?

By taking £1,000 out of the Limited company BEFORE Corporation Tax my tax liability for that week was significantly lower than what it would have been if(as you say) they would have used £500 (or 50%) of the Laptop value in order to calculate the CT payable and therefore dividends available to me???

I'm confused?, sorry to be a pain in the @rse...

Comment

Originally posted by Rialto99
          Cheers Alan.

My question really though is how can Gabem work out the CT liability using a 100% 'capital allowance' (i.e £1,000 was paid back in full to me as an expense claim for the laptop)?

By taking £1,000 out of the Limited company BEFORE Corporation Tax my tax liability for that week was significantly lower than what it would have been if(as you say) they would have used £500 (or 50%) of the Laptop value in order to calculate the CT payable and therefore dividends available to me???

I'm confused?, sorry to be a pain in the @rse...
          Whatever they did, they cannot claim 100% allowance, check the calculations ir perhaps they have made an error? I would guess that you would have to "pay" for the laptop so they haven't diddled you out of dividends, it sounds like they are out of pocket in year 1 due to not enough CT being deducted.

Another good reason to stay clear of composites?

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan
            What happens after April 07? And does the same apply to a desktop PC?
            That is up to Gordon - it could revert back to 25% but he has meddled each year, last year it was 40%, it should be announced in the Budget.

Alan

Comment

Hmm... I'm a bit confused. I was thinking of buying a printer - have been using my old personal one upto now, but it's on its last legs.

Anyway, if I buy the printer on my credit card, does that mean I cannot get 100% of the cost reimbursed from MyCo?

Thanks

turbo
              Last edited by turbo; 15 December 2006, 15:01.

Comment

Assets

Your company can reimburse you for the amount, but the company will get the tax relief on the full cost over a few years.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren@1stAccountancyServ
                  Your company can reimburse you for the amount, but the company will get the tax relief on the full cost over a few years.
                  Ah, thanks Darren.

Is there a list of items and an explanation of what tax relief can be obtained available anywhere?

Thanks

turbo

Comment

If the printer is quite cheap, say under £300/£400 then you could just write it off in the first year. It is unlikely that the Revenue would argue that it a small value item should be spread over a few years.

Alan

Comment

Working...
                    X