• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is a SIPP pension with HL safe?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is a SIPP pension with HL safe?

Hey guys, compared to a typical pension you'd get with an employer, Is a SIPP pension with HL safe?

Originally posted by Sambola View Post
    Hey guys, compared to a typical pension you'd get with an employer, Is a SIPP pension with HL safe?
    Yes and no and maybe and could be.

Generic answer with no detail that's not much use, somewhat similar to the question.

To answer such an open ended question would take a very long reply to cover all the aspects you might be thinking about and the ones you aren't.

Bearing in mind you are in charge of your HL SIPP and don't appear to be very clued up on it all the answer you want is absolutely not. It's not safe at all and there is good chance you are going to lose a lot of money.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

They key here is "Self-Invested Personal Pension".

You decide what you are going to invest in, be it a traditional managed fund, or Stocks and Shares, as an example. The risk is yours.

Benefits are that you can choose how to (gamble) invest your own money into a fund which you, ultimately manage.
      I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

To answer the OP's question, yes SIPPS are safe from HL.

Best SIPP: Build a low cost DIY pension - MoneySavingExpert

Usually with SIPPs, the broker you buy it through, eg, Hargreaves Lansdown, doesn't hold any of the cash; it simply acts as a conduit for you to put the money into whatever funds or investments you want.

Therefore, in the unlikely event it went bust, your money should be OK, and still held by the fund manager or bank it resides with. The protection applies should any of those go into default.

If the operator of a fund, trust or other investment vehicle you've put money into goes bust, you're eligible to get your money back, up to a maximum of £50,000.

If you decide to hold the money as cash within the SIPP, you're then normally covered under the standard £85,000 cover per person, per institution rule, the same as normal savings.
        Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

What do you mean by safe?
          Are you worried that HL might steal it?
          Or that it might be stolen?
          Or that it might not return what you want?

Given your apparent knowledge of pensions I strongly recommend you speak to an IFA.

As for HL vs employer pensions. It depends.

Just find professional advice.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Its safer than if you were invested with Robert Maxwell, but not as safe as an Civil Service Golden Pension.

Most big company pensions will have the protection of the Pension Protection Fund which gives you something (usually 90%) over nothing, if HL goes under you still own the shares and funds as they should be help separately from company assets.
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
              Its safer than if you were invested with Robert Maxwell, but not as safe as an Civil Service Golden Pension.

Most big company pensions will have the protection of the Pension Protection Fund which gives you something (usually 90%) over nothing, if HL goes under you still own the shares and funds as they should be help separately from company assets.
              Investors using Beaufort's platform thought their investments were safe as they were held separately in nominee accounts - unfortunately nobody had realised that liquidators can quite legally raid your holdings should the platform go bust to cover their fees even if they are in your name.

Ultra cautious people should spread their savings and investments out across more than one platform and only play with the big boys.

Comment

See below. I can't recommend monevator enough.

Weekend reading: Yes, even brokers can fail you

What you need to know about nominee accounts | Monevator

Investor compensation schemes – are you covered? | Monevator

Comment

The main reason not to use HL:
                  Their fees are eye-watering over the long term. There are far cheaper providers with whom you can open a SIPP and pour in cash in just the same.

Management fees are prohibitively expensive with HL.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Yes and no and maybe and could be.

Generic answer with no detail that's not much use, somewhat similar to the question.

To answer such an open ended question would take a very long reply to cover all the aspects you might be thinking about and the ones you aren't.

Bearing in mind you are in charge of your HL SIPP and don't appear to be very clued up on it all the answer you want is absolutely not. It's not safe at all and there is good chance you are going to lose a lot of money.
                    So is there a pension option for contractors that is as safe as full time employees?

Comment

Working...
                    X