• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Urgent advise needed!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Urgent advise needed!!

Hi, I am new to this forum, but need to some urgent advice.
    We are a group of colleagues who have worked for a company (A) on a freelance basis for many years. 2 years ago this company forced us to work through a 3rd party agency (B) which has now gone bust owing us £KKKK's!!

Company A has not paid B for work carried out during Nov & Dec and we have requested that this be paid to us directly instead of the monies being paid to B. But we are being told by A that legally they have to pay B first and it is up to B and or the receivers to pay us. (fat chance)!!

Comapny A want us to continue to work for them, now again directly, and want to help us but cannot pay us for the work we have already carried out via B.

Does comapny A have any legal obligation to us, as we were working for their own clients and representing them (A) and not B and have accrued expenses on behalf of A and their clients.

Can anyone offer any help, or advice as to where i can go.
    Thanks
    C

I'm not sure if it applies if Co. B has gone bust but you can take out what is called a Garnishee Order against the sources of the debt. I.e A owes B who owe you, so you get the order against A to pay you the money directly.

Probably wont do the relationship any good but it doesn't look that great anyway.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

What kind of "group" are you? I believe (and I may be wrong - ask an expert) that employees will receive unpaid salary and redundancy if the employer goes bust, which may apply if you are "employees" of the agency. To apply it to the client you'd have to prove you were really employees of the client, which is a bit different (and may well prejudice any future work they have for you).

If you were acting as a Ltd. company, then you're probably screwed. You'll be just another creditor of the agent, and company A is under no obligation to pay you anything.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Hi, we are a group of self employed free lance trainers who provide our services 90% to A through company B, we are not "employed" or Ltd companies.
        C

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB
          I'm not sure if it applies if Co. B has gone bust but you can take out what is called a Garnishee Order against the sources of the debt. I.e A owes B who owe you, so you get the order against A to pay you the money directly.
          Surely that amounts to giving preference to one particular creditor of B, which is a no no.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

The money belongs to B' receiver.

If A pays it to the contractors, the receiver will still come chasing A for the money.

It's not illegal for A to pay the contraors but they won't nulify the debt to B by doing so.

tim

Comment

Originally posted by tim123
              The money belongs to B' receiver.

If A pays it to the contractors, the receiver will still come chasing A for the money.

It's not illegal for A to pay the contraors but they won't nulify the debt to B by doing so.

tim
              Correct from my point of thinking as well.

They may however pay the contractors as a goodwill gesture anyway though if they want them to continue to perform the work, since the ongoing work without the agents cut will save them cash over the long term.

Comment

Hi, spoke to a solicitor today, apparantly you cant get a garnishee order after the company has gone into Administration, let that be a warning to everyone, you should get one if you are not paid, but before liquidation!!

The only hope seems to be the company A coming to our rescue, which may not happen.
                One solicitor said that if A didnt pay B, the receivers probably wont bother chasing for long, as there will not be the money to take it to court etc etc. So maybe A could pay us then? hope hope, Thanks for your help anyway.
                C

Comment

I assume you as a group have approached A with an offer to take on the work directly? Od did I miss something?
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by Chezzi3
                    One solicitor said that if A didnt pay B, the receivers probably wont bother chasing for long, as there will not be the money to take it to court etc etc.
                    C
                    For a debt of 20K plus, this is unlikely. If this got to court the receiver will win and the company will get stuck with the court costs to pay as well as the debt.

The receiver will chase any debt as far as possible unless he thinks that the debtor cannot pay. This doesn't seem likely in this case.

tim

Comment

Working...
                    X