• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Childcare vouchers or new tax-free childcare scheme?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Childcare vouchers or new tax-free childcare scheme?

Currently get childcare vouchers via umbrella. £3 charge and its capped at £28 per week (dunno why).

Now I think I'm right in saying that this gets deducted before employer NI, employee NI, and PAYE. (So that £31 would probably end up about £15 in my pocket).

Much better than new scheme which, I think I'm right, is just an account you set up and the government top up 20%?

So better stay in original scheme? Closed to new users now so you can't leave.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Currently get childcare vouchers via umbrella. £3 charge and its capped at £28 per week (dunno why).

Now I think I'm right in saying that this gets deducted before employer NI, employee NI, and PAYE. (So that £31 would probably end up about £15 in my pocket).

Much better than new scheme which, I think I'm right, is just an account you set up and the government top up 20%?

I just paid the legal max direct from my Ltd Company £273 iirc.
    And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
      Yeh I used to do that when using limited.

Comment

Currently get childcare vouchers via umbrella
        Useful
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Useful
          Shut it you!

Might be worth considering if he's a low earner and this makes the difference between it being worth it Ltd vs Umbrella.
          And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Shut it you!

Might be worth considering if he's a low earner and this makes the difference between it being worth it Ltd vs Umbrella.

Public sector IR35 so umbrella is only viable option. Beeen there done that with ltd etc etc etc etc etc.

Comment

Public sector IR35 so umbrella is only viable option. Beeen there done that with ltd etc etc etc etc etc.
              Have you asked your employer?

Comment

The £28 is the weekly exempt limit because you're a higher rate tax payer. Under the new tax free scheme you could get up to £500 per quarter and the gov will chip in £2 for every £8 paid to the childcare provider via an online account if you qualify.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Have you asked your employer?
                  Not seen you use this canned response before

Comment

Originally posted by Craig@Clarity View Post
                    Not seen you use this canned response before
                    Have you tried a search?

Comment

Working...
                    X