• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting in Belgium

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting in Belgium

Hi I will be doing a 6-12 month contract in Belgium at the start of Jan 07.

Can you suggest any good umbrella companies?

Also what is the best method to get the best return on your income, one company projects I retaing 79% of my income, can I do better than this?

The method they use is to pay a minimal wage in belgium and then setup an offshore where Im paid a monthly dividend. For some reason they have told me I cannot offset any expsenses to reduce my tax liability??

Thanks for some advice

If you register locally you can claim expenses

The general structure re. a split is not unusual though I would not publicly discuss specific retention percentages on a public forum as it is very much a grey area.

In terms of deductions, I believe that will depend on how you pay yourself locally. If you register a a freelance worker here (worthwhile if over 6 mths) then you will be liable to BE taxes and deductions on expenses can be claimed (though not travel back to uk all the time as you will technically be resident in BE for tax purposes.)

Beware, bureaucracy here can be a pain in the arse.

Speak to Keywest International in Lux if you ain't done so already.

Comment

Thanks for the repsonse and advice.

Do you have a url for Keywest International ?

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by andyamstrad
        Thanks for the repsonse and advice.

Do you have a url for Keywest International ?

Regards
        http://www.keywest-international.com/ but there are other companies doing the same sort of thing - I think they are listed on the pcg site somewhere.

Good luck

HTH

Comment

I wonder what impact the new legislation will have then?

Extract I read from another post.

"The new legislation, which will come into force on 6th April 2007, means that individuals using either a Composite or Managed Company will no longer be able to receive either dividends or expenses. What this means in effect is that you will take a massive cut in take home pay – we estimate around a 40% cut."

Comment

Working...
          X