• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Breaking Contract - Not Signed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breaking Contract - Not Signed

Hi,

I'm relatively new to contracting so please forgive me if this is a bit of a naive question. I've been working for my client company for over a year now and was offered an extension over the Christmas break. During the break I have been offered a contract elsewhere with with more money and less travel. The complication is that I have worked 2 day without signing the extension as I knew this might be coming

If I haven't signed the contract extension is the contract still enforceable? I'm aware I wont get paid for the 2 days I've worked but the new contract should make up for that in day rate.

Thanks in advance

Originally posted by eonchange1 View Post
    Hi,

I'm relatively new to contracting so please forgive me if this is a bit of a naive question. I've been working for my client company for over a year now and was offered an extension over the Christmas break. During the break I have been offered a contract elsewhere with with more money and less travel. The complication is that I have worked 2 day without signing the extension as I knew this might be coming

If I haven't signed the contract extension is the contract still enforceable? I'm aware I wont get paid for the 2 days I've worked but the new contract should make up for that in day rate.

Thanks in advance
    Yes it is. You accepted the terms by turning up and working. You can't just bury your head in the sand with this stuff and hope no one notices. Going in site without a signed contract is very bad practice.

You should legally get paid the 2 days as you did work them but you'll not get it due to the crap storm that is about to happen. There are going to be some very very upset people when you tell them. There is also the possibility you will get sued for breach of contract if you don't work the required notice.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 7 January 2019, 07:15.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Yes it is. You accepted the terms by turning up and working. You can't just bury your head in the sand with this stuff and hope no one notices. Going in site without a signed contract is very bad practice.

You should legally get paid the 2 days as you did work them but you'll not get it due to the crap storm that is about to happen. There are going to be some very very upset people when you tell them. There is also the possibility you will get sued for breach of contract if you don't work the required notice.
      Hmmm. Options if the OP is going to take the other contract.

1. Send a sub. If the client refuses, offer to terminate contract immediately by mutual consent.
      2. Give required notice to terminate contract. Tell client you are not available for the rest of the contract period. Offer to write off the 2 days as a goodwill gesture.
      3. Explain the situation honestly and apologise. Tell them the travel is putting strain on your family. Offer to write off the 2 days as a goodwill gesture. Offer to come in for a further day at some point in the next month or so to hand over to a replacement.

This isn't at all ideal, but with some imagination, it can be managed.

Comment

All the above. There is also the option of delaying the start of the new gig. They've offered it now and it's going to take longer to go get someone else thank wait a week or so for the OP to end the current gig properly.

With such a quick turn around I wonder if the OP is getting his contract properly checked by a professional.

Good lesson for the OP on what not to do in the future if nothing else.

Comment

All the above. There is also the option of delaying the start of the new gig. They've offered it now and it's going to take longer to go get someone else thank wait a week or so for the OP to end the current gig properly.

With such a quick turn around I wonder if the OP is getting his contract properly checked by a professional.

Good lesson for the OP on what not to do in the future if nothing else.
          The OP has a new contract paying better with less travel. I know what I think the lesson is.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            The OP has a new contract paying better with less travel. I know what I think the lesson is.
            From that I don't think we are thinking the same lesson.

Comment

From that I don't think we are thinking the same lesson.
              You are thinking of a non-lesson, I reckon.

Comment

You are thinking of a non-lesson, I reckon.
                I am?

Comment

I am?
                  What lesson are you thinking of?

Comment

What lesson are you thinking of?
                    That one of you needs to understand contract law a little better?
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                    X