• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

P85 After moving abroad

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

P85 After moving abroad

I've recently closed my UK business and moved abroad - I was wondering how I notify HMRC that I no longer live in the UK. This HMRC link suggests you would usually fill out a P85 however it says "Send a Self Assessment tax return instead if you usually complete one, for example if you’re self-employed" which would suggest I don't need to.

Seems odd that the first HMRC would know was after April when I got around to doing my self assessment. Is this correct?

Originally posted by Ret View Post
    I've recently closed my UK business and moved abroad - I was wondering how I notify HMRC that I no longer live in the UK. This HMRC link suggests you would usually fill out a P85 however it says "Send a Self Assessment tax return instead if you usually complete one, for example if you’re self-employed" which would suggest I don't need to.

Seems odd that the first HMRC would know was after April when I got around to doing my self assessment. Is this correct?
    Deregister, otherwise HMRC will bug you for a tax return.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
    X