• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cherry tomatoes could cost 10% more after Brexit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cherry tomatoes could cost 10% more after Brexit

Cherry tomatoes could cost 10% more 'within a week of Brexit' - BBC News

The cost of cherry tomatoes could increase by more than 10% if there is a no deal Brexit, say growers in southern Spain.
    Something to consider if there is a revote.

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    And that's not taking the collapse of GBP into consideration.

Comment

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

keep drinking the Kool(eu) aid.

Tomatoes in the UK (infographic) | The Missing Graph

time for some cheap Chinese or Indian exports

or maybe we can get some Turkish or Egyptian imports? Maybe we can increase UK production to take up the slack?
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

or maybe we can get some Turkish or Egyptian imports? Maybe we can increase UK production to take up the slack?
          Yes, that will work. Chinese / Indian / Turkish / Egyptian imports after Brexit will have none of the problems (tariffs, paperwork, transport delays) that Spanish producers are worried about

Or we can increase our own production by - let me check your graphic - over 400%. "Within a week of Brexit", the context of the original story was. Those UK producers better get building those greenhouses sharpish.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
            Yes, that will work. Chinese / Indian / Turkish / Egyptian imports after Brexit will have none of the problems (tariffs, paperwork, transport delays) that Spanish producers are worried about

Or we can increase our own production by - let me check your graphic - over 400%. "Within a week of Brexit", the context of the original story was. Those UK producers better get building those greenhouses sharpish.
            Let's hope for a warm spring.

Comment

Should be plenty of unemployed City bankers to provide manpower for 5 year plan to increase home grown tomatoes by 400%.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                Should be plenty of unemployed City bankers to provide manpower for 5 year plan to increase home grown tomatoes by 400%.
                Why provide all those lucrative tomato picking jobs to bankers? Brexit voters gave us the opportunities, they should reap the rewards.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Tomatoes in the UK (infographic) | The Missing Graph

I love your posts. They're hilarious. Keep them coming
                  I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    But it doesnt work that way. If the price increases then people will buy less or look for alternatives. To compete Spain will have to lower it's prices.

Comment

Working...
                    X