• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

no credit history?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no credit history?

Hi,

As you might have read in my other posts on this board, I'm planning to leave my home country the Netherlands and move to the UK and setup a Limited.

Now I don't have a credit history in the UK. I obviously will need at least one credit card, would it be possible to get one without a credit history?

no credit history?

No.

Comment

no credit history

Depends on if you enter the country legally.

Most things seem open to illegal entrants.

Comment

Re: no credit history

why not bring a Dutch one with you.

6 years abroard and I still use my UK one. I wouldn't dream of jumping through all the hops necessary to get one in a foreign country.

tim

Comment

why not bring a Dutch one with you.
          Well the thing is I don't have a Dutch one privatly. We Dutch hardly use credit cards. I do have a company credit card on my Dutch company, but I'm getting rid of that Dutch company. I won't have a Dutch address in about 2 -3 months, so it would be pretty impossible to keep that one or get a new one.

If I could get a Visa debit card with my UK bank account that would be fine to. I don't need/want credit anyway. I just want something I can use to pay for car rentals, hotels etc.

Thanks btw for the replies

Comment

Hi,

I was in the same situation about 6-7 months ago. It was even a struggle to get an account opened, but I later discovered that regarding credit cards www.capitalone.com, do offer card to people with por credit rating and possible as would apply in your case no rating.
            Obviously with the higher risk they feel they take with persons with poor credit the charges for failure to pay off the amount on the card within the required time you get hit by severe interest. Just be mindful of that.

I initially opened my account on moving to the uk with halifax, however I would'nt recommend them as it was alot of red tape to process.
            However I am currently changing to Alliance and Leicester, who have a good package and also bundled with the account comes a credit card. I have found them very efficient so far, so may be worth checking them out.
            You can fill out an online request.

Hope this help.
            Jay

Comment

Just a note on using debit cards for car rental and hotels: when you reserve with a card, they will put a block on a sum that is more than the cost of what you have actually reserved, sometimes much more, up to 3 times has been known. So if you reserve 500 worth on a credit card, they may block 1500: you'll be ok if, like most people, you are not near the limit. But if you reserve 500 worth of hotel on a debit card, they may put in a request to block 1500, and if that fails (e.g. you only have 1200 in there but that's more than you expect to need) then you won't get the reservation; if it works, maybe another legitimate debit will get refused despite your having enough in the account for everything yuo actually do.

Comment

Hi,

As you might have read in my other posts on this board, I'm planning to leave my home country the Netherlands and move to the UK and setup a Limited.

Now I don't have a credit history in the UK. I obviously will need at least one credit card, would it be possible to get one without a credit history?

You'll have a basic credit rating - i.e. it won't be positive or negative. You should make yourself resident and then enroll on the electoral register then wait a few years.

Consider getting a card through your limited company.

Comment

Waw, what an EU!

So that's how the EU works! people can move freely, goods can move freely..but your credit history get left at the border. And this is Europe's answer to the USA?:rollin

Sal.

Comment

state borders

Wasn't that how the USA was until recently? People could move across state lines but banks couldn't?

Comment

Working...
                    X