• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

tax returns and year end...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tax returns and year end...

I have registered my limited company and it is not trading until I have finalised my contract (probably in late Jan).

I am currently still a permanent employee and do not have to do a personal tax return.

- If I finalise my contract in late Jan and start trading on 1st of Feb then will I need to submit a personal tax return for this April?

- Is there any advantage in declaring financial year beginning/end at particular dates?

Thanks!

no,
    no

hth
    Plan A is located just about here.
    If that doesn't work, then there's always plan B

Comment

Um,

yes

possibly.

tim

Comment

If I remember correctly, all directors of Limited companies must submit a self-assessment. Like the OP, I set-up my Limited company last January and had to complete a form which I submitted last November, resulting in a cheque back from Hector for £800.

On the advice of SJD, even though I was trading from March, I didn't draw salary or divis until after the end of the tax year as I was already in the higher tax bracket. Paying expenses was okay though....

HTH
        Illegitimus non carborundum est!

Comment

Originally posted by chuddy
          I have registered my limited company and it is not trading until I have finalised my contract (probably in late Jan).

I am currently still a permanent employee and do not have to do a personal tax return.

- If I finalise my contract in late Jan and start trading on 1st of Feb then will I need to submit a personal tax return for this April?

- Is there any advantage in declaring financial year beginning/end at particular dates?

Thanks!
          If you start trading this year year (ie prior to 05/04/07) then you should be issued with a tax return for 2006/07 that will be due by 31/01/08

The year end date will usually be set at the end of the month the company was formed, no major reasons to change this from a personal tax position.

Regards

Alan

Comment

Working...
          X