• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

To extend or not to extend...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To extend or not to extend...

the contract, that is the question...

Here comes the offer for my second renewal on the current contract, it's another 3 months after two six-monthers...On the pro side, it's close to home (10 miles drive) and quite a nice environment...As cons I am quite arsed to be here after one year and the rate isn't quite stellar...I requested a rate increase but the agent hasn't phoned yet...
    Still 2 weeks to go and I don't know what to do...I feel that if I extend again I will be a sort of permie, apart from this the work is quite crap at the moment (but a new project may start in the future).
    So here I am on a Friday, drinking coffee and thinking...
    The rest is silence...

have you anything in the pipe line? If not, then sign, if you have then don't, I've just signed for 3 more months, and then today been offered a job at a bank I used to work at with no interview!!!
    SA says;
    Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
    (whatever these are)

Comment

Originally posted by Viktor
      the contract, that is the question...

Here comes the offer for my second renewal on the current contract, it's another 3 months after two six-monthers...On the pro side, it's close to home (10 miles drive) and quite a nice environment...As cons I am quite arsed to be here after one year and the rate isn't quite stellar...I requested a rate increase but the agent hasn't phoned yet...
      Still 2 weeks to go and I don't know what to do...I feel that if I extend again I will be a sort of permie, apart from this the work is quite crap at the moment (but a new project may start in the future).
      So here I am on a Friday, drinking coffee and thinking...
      Unless somebody is waving more money at you to go somewhere else I'd accept the extension. Look for a new client in three months.
      +50 Xeno Geek Points
      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Don't sit on your arse for three or six months at a time just signing extensions. I could understand it if the rate was great, or the work was great, but you say neither is true in your case.

Suppose you do sign for three more months - in three months you will be in exactly the same situation. I know that signing extensions is easy, but your working life floats by, and a few years down the line you'll be wondering what the hell you did with it. A year is enough in one place.

Always be looking for new contracts. Keep in the market.

Comment

Agent? Luckily I'm going direct and can negotiate these things...myself.

Like you I enjoy the easy commute and good location of the current contract. I don't drive so that restricts things a lot. Most of the contracts I've had a sniff at are too far for me to commute to in a reasonable amount of time. So I'm basicaly stuck here unless I move house.

Presumably you've had a sniff around and if you are confident of quickly getting another contract at a better rate, you know what to do.
          McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
          Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Thank you all for your responses. Seems like there will be a lot of phone calls for me in the next couple of weeks...Just being lazy because of the proposed extension...
            So back in the market for me then...We'll see what comes out in the end...
            The rest is silence...

Comment

Just had a call from an old acquaintance offering a job - £100@day over current rate, 5 mins later current agent rang formally offering extension - must be a buoyant market - i'd sort of already accepted the extension in principle with the PM...hmmm dilemma
              How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Nothing wrong with taking a break of a month or two and see what comes up in that time. You'd be surprised and you also have an immediate start capability...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore
                  Nothing wrong with taking a break of a month or two and see what comes up in that time. You'd be surprised and you also have an immediate start capability...

That's fine if you need the rest or plan a holiday, but a month off work before (say) a six month contract is equivalent to a 14% rate drop.

Comment

Working...
                  X