• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

hybrid cars?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hybrid cars?

Has anybody had their company purchase a hybrid car?

Am I right in thinking that if I do this then my car will be 100% expensable (rather than straight lined depreciated) for the year?

Am guessing that I would then have to count the car as a taxable benefit. If the company car becomes a part of my taxable benefit then does this mean that it contributes towards my total income? i.e. salary + car (taxable benefit) = 5 thousand something that is required for minimum NI contributions.

Also, am I right in thinking that my company can pay for the insurance for the car?

Cheers!

hmrc details

Note: Car has to be new

Also, taxable allowance should be 11% of the value of the car

(15% - 3% (because it is hybrid) - 1% (because it is over 20g/km lower than 140g/km CO2 emmissions)

Comment

further question for the accounting minded re hybrid cars:

If there is 100% allowance for the purchase then will the car appear as a zero value asset in the balance sheet or would it follow the usual asset valuation rules?

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by chuddy
        further question for the accounting minded re hybrid cars:

If there is 100% allowance for the purchase then will the car appear as a zero value asset in the balance sheet or would it follow the usual asset valuation rules?

Cheers!
        The 100% allowance is for tax purposes only, the car would still be shown on the balance sheet and depreciated as normal.

Alan

Comment

Working...
        X