• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best options if contracting for just a short period of time?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best options if contracting for just a short period of time?

Hi there,

I'm about to switch from a permenant roll to go contracting and need some advice on what my best option is, ie. limited company or umbrella.

Having read all the advice on these forums and other contracting sites the general feeling I get is that your best option for maximising your income seems to be to go the way of setting up your own limited company.

This is probably the method I would use however I'm only intending to do about 6-9 months contract work before going off travelling for 1 to 2 years.

So what worries me about setting up a limited company is that I'll have to leave someone in charge of the paperwork and pay an accountant to look after it whilst I'm not working and wont be easily contactable

I did contracting before a couple of years ago and used Prosperity 4, but I'm told because of the pre budget report regarding the clampdown on these sort of companies that I could end up paying a lot more in tax than if I went the limited company route.

If it makes any difference, the first contract is for 3 months with the company I'm currently permenant with and I guess this means I will fall victim of IR35 also.

I've read up so much on this and still don't know what my best option is so yout thoughts and advice would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by dawson; 14 January 2007, 13:38. Reason: Typo in heading

Hi Dawson,

I have today been trying to decide on the exact same thing! I want 6 months contracting then I'm going travelling - limited or umbrella?

I'm sort of hesitant to pay someone to do paperwork when I could do it myself - I wouldn't do this normally so I'm not sure I'd want to do it for my work.

Does anyone know what sort of loss in income I'd take if I went with an umbrella company? Can anyone recommend one?

James

Comment

Originally posted by dawson
      If it makes any difference, the first contract is for 3 months with the company I'm currently permenant with and I guess this means I will fall victim of IR35 also.
      If you're IR35 caught, there's not much advantage to going Ltd. Go for one of the "honest" umbrellas like Parasol and avoid composite type schemes that try to pay you out of dividends.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
      X