• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Business Entertainment as an expense

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Business Entertainment as an expense

I know the £150 per head per annum rule for "my" own staff, but what are the rules about entertainment of say a Client ?

I'm taking my client out for a curry next week, IF i pay for it all through my business a/c can I put that down as an expense and therefore avoid the 19% CT on the amount ?

Or does it become BIK as I would have to eat anyway ?
    Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Yes you can put it through the books.

No, you won't be able to offest against CT. Business entertainment gets taken off the accounts AFTER CT is worked out on the profit...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

...so there's no benifit in putting it thru thr books ?

Comment

Originally posted by Bluebird
        ...so there's no benifit in putting it thru thr books ?
        Of course there is - No NI.
        ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

[QUOTE]Of course there is - No NI.[QUOTE]

Or tax at 40%!

Comment

but don't don't pay much NI to start with - most of my income is from divi which has already been taxed at 19%...

Comment

but don't don't pay much NI to start with - most of my income is from divi which has already been taxed at 19%...
              Every little helps. Gives you a few more quid to take as divis before you start paying higher rate tax.

Only if it is genuine client entertaining of course. I am not for one moment advocating putting a few random restaurant bills through the books and calling it entertaining.
              I'm Spartacus.

Comment

I know the £150 per head per annum rule for "my" own staff, but what are the rules about entertainment of say a Client ?

I'm taking my client out for a curry next week, IF i pay for it all through my business a/c can I put that down as an expense and therefore avoid the 19% CT on the amount ?

Or does it become BIK as I would have to eat anyway ?
                Your company can pay the cost of entertaining but the cost is not allowed for tax purposes and will be added back to the profits.

If it is for business purposes it is still worth doing as you do not suffer personal taxes on the cost.

Alan

Comment

Working...
                X