• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

we are stuffed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

we are stuffed

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6293349.stm

"She says that, despite their poor backgrounds, when she asks the children what they want to do when they grow up, there is only one answer.

They all want to be software engineers and join the glittering world of Bangalore's hi-tech giants."
    Johnny Talibani Mumbai

Originally posted by ImNotFromIndia
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6293349.stm

"She says that, despite their poor backgrounds, when she asks the children what they want to do when they grow up, there is only one answer.

They all want to be software engineers and join the glittering world of Bangalore's hi-tech giants."
    In England they all want to be like Jade Goody.

Comment

Along witht the other story about Tata buying corus it would appear that India is doing rather well.

Could anyone tell me why we are still paying them 50 billion in aid a year?
      I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
      Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

we've been stuffed for a long time. Labour is far too expensive here meaning we can't compete on the manufacturing front.
        All our kids want to do is to be footballers or pop stars, hardly massive exports.

India, china (and less noticeably africa and Brazil) have huge numbers of underclass desperate to get out of poverty that's going to be feeding their economies for many years to come.
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
          Contributions to Labour party funds or to individuals of said party.
          Drivel is my speciality

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet
            we've been stuffed for a long time. Labour is far too expensive here meaning we can't compete on the manufacturing front.
            All our kids want to do is to be footballers or pop stars, hardly massive exports.

India, china (and less noticeably africa and Brazil) have huge numbers of underclass desperate to get out of poverty that's going to be feeding their economies for many years to come.

India is already outsourcing itself. Competition from IBM, Accenture, Cap Gemini etc in India as they move operations out there mean Wipro et al are losing staff themselves and are outsourcing to China where they can pay staff a fraction of that their Indian staff earn.

From the article:
            But industry analysts wonder whether the rising wage bill will eventually make Indian software companies uncompetitive in the world market. After all, lower labour costs are what gave them their initial advantage.

The Indian companies answer that it is their global production systems and their skills, not low wages, that give them comparative advantage.

But they are also hedging their bets.

All the Bangalore tigers have set up development centres in China, where they can employ software engineers for considerably less than they are currently paying their Indian staff.
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
              where did you get that from
              it says here $300miliion

fco

Comment

"In England they all want to be like Jade Goody."

and a great many have managed this!
                Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

I was watching a show about building hot rods. Normally I treat it as a comedy show as some of it looks really slap-happy. Then the other day one of the guys went to a schools career day. It made my heart glad when he kept telling them they had to work harder on and have good mathematics. It was certainly not what the kids asking wanted to hear, their falling faces were a picture.
                  Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                  threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB
                    India is already outsourcing itself. Competition from IBM, Accenture, Cap Gemini etc in India as they move operations out there mean Wipro et al are losing staff themselves and are outsourcing to China where they can pay staff a fraction of that their Indian staff earn.

From the article:
                    But they are producing soOOOooo many IT graduates every year ... it's astounding!!!! ... all the new graduates go to the Indian companies which in turn send them to the UK to do their work experience ... then leave for IBM et tal for better money.
                    Johnny Talibani Mumbai

Comment

Working...
                    X