PDA

View Full Version : we are stuffed

ImNotFromIndia
31st January 2007, 09:44
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6293349.stm

"She says that, despite their poor backgrounds, when she asks the children what they want to do when they grow up, there is only one answer.

They all want to be software engineers and join the glittering world of Bangalore's hi-tech giants."

wendigo100
31st January 2007, 09:48
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6293349.stm

"She says that, despite their poor backgrounds, when she asks the children what they want to do when they grow up, there is only one answer.

They all want to be software engineers and join the glittering world of Bangalore's hi-tech giants."In England they all want to be like Jade Goody.

The Lone Gunman
31st January 2007, 09:50
Along witht the other story about Tata buying corus it would appear that India is doing rather well.

Could anyone tell me why we are still paying them 50 billion in aid a year?

Spacecadet
31st January 2007, 09:53
we've been stuffed for a long time. Labour is far too expensive here meaning we can't compete on the manufacturing front.
All our kids want to do is to be footballers or pop stars, hardly massive exports.

India, china (and less noticeably africa and Brazil) have huge numbers of underclass desperate to get out of poverty that's going to be feeding their economies for many years to come.

Buffoon
31st January 2007, 09:54
Could anyone tell me why we are still paying them 50 billion in aid a year?Contributions to Labour party funds or to individuals of said party.

DaveB
31st January 2007, 10:02
we've been stuffed for a long time. Labour is far too expensive here meaning we can't compete on the manufacturing front.
All our kids want to do is to be footballers or pop stars, hardly massive exports.

India, china (and less noticeably africa and Brazil) have huge numbers of underclass desperate to get out of poverty that's going to be feeding their economies for many years to come.

India is already outsourcing itself. Competition from IBM, Accenture, Cap Gemini etc in India as they move operations out there mean Wipro et al are losing staff themselves and are outsourcing to China where they can pay staff a fraction of that their Indian staff earn.

From the article:

But industry analysts wonder whether the rising wage bill will eventually make Indian software companies uncompetitive in the world market. After all, lower labour costs are what gave them their initial advantage.

The Indian companies answer that it is their global production systems and their skills, not low wages, that give them comparative advantage.

But they are also hedging their bets.

All the Bangalore tigers have set up development centres in China, where they can employ software engineers for considerably less than they are currently paying their Indian staff.

andy
31st January 2007, 10:04
Could anyone tell me why we are still paying them 50 billion in aid a year?

where did you get that from
it says here $300miliion

fco (http://www.fco.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/ShowPage&c=Page&cid=1007029394365&a=KCountryProfile&aid=1018965323192)

BoredBloke
31st January 2007, 10:06
"In England they all want to be like Jade Goody."

and a great many have managed this!

threaded
31st January 2007, 10:06
I was watching a show about building hot rods. Normally I treat it as a comedy show as some of it looks really slap-happy. Then the other day one of the guys went to a schools career day. It made my heart glad when he kept telling them they had to work harder on and have good mathematics. It was certainly not what the kids asking wanted to hear, their falling faces were a picture.

ImNotFromIndia
31st January 2007, 10:11
India is already outsourcing itself. Competition from IBM, Accenture, Cap Gemini etc in India as they move operations out there mean Wipro et al are losing staff themselves and are outsourcing to China where they can pay staff a fraction of that their Indian staff earn.

From the article:

But they are producing soOOOooo many IT graduates every year ... it's astounding!!!! :mad: ... all the new graduates go to the Indian companies which in turn send them to the UK to do their work experience ... then leave for IBM et tal for better money.