• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Moving to the US

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving to the US

After reading a few posts on here it seems a lot of you have worked in the states. I worked there for 2 years in Atlanta and I am thinking of going back there on a permanent basis. How easy/hard is it to get work/visas whilst still over here? Last time I was on an L1 so it was a piece of cake. This whole H1B thing seems to be a bit trickier.

I was also thinking of maybe going for a Canadian visa which seems easier and then working in the US with a Canadian visa.

Originally posted by theemeestroo
    After reading a few posts on here it seems a lot of you have worked in the states. I worked there for 2 years in Atlanta and I am thinking of going back there on a permanent basis. How easy/hard is it to get work/visas whilst still over here? Last time I was on an L1 so it was a piece of cake. This whole H1B thing seems to be a bit trickier.

I was also thinking of maybe going for a Canadian visa which seems easier and then working in the US with a Canadian visa.
    I don't think you can do that. You might be able to do it on a Canadian Permanent Residence, though I doubt it.

Comment

In my case I am looking at an E1 (or E2) visa. These are for 'proper' businesses, it is no good for a contracting.
      Drivel is my speciality

Comment

Originally posted by theemeestroo

A Canadian perm. res. can get a renewable temporary (TN) visa but I would doubt that this visa could be obtained by someone who is in Canada on a visa!
        McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
        Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Diversity Visa

Alternatively, if you are an unusual breed and are lucky:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigra...ypes_1322.html
          First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by _V_
            Alternatively, if you are an unusual breed and are lucky:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigra...ypes_1322.html
            Unusual breed? Last time I looked, the DV was available to those born in every country in Europe, except the UK. Special relationship? Bend over....

Comment

So how have all you lot who have worked over in the states managed it then?

The more I look into the H1B visa it seems it is being used to shuttle indian workers into the country. Can't imagine a normal employer recruiting for a position would be willing to sponsor someone and then wait a few months for the next visa window to open again.

Knew I should have married that american bird I was seeing over there

Comment

!!!theemeestroo!!!

I have clearly missed something. When I asked about working in the US it appears that no-one on here has worked there, but were happy to offer advice about a subject they didnt know anything about. Must be catching off AtW
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Few people in this thread seemed to have lived/worked there

http://forums.contractoruk.com/thread11769-visa.html

MF, what did you decide to do about taking the post over there?
                  I lived there from 2000-2002 and loved it.

Comment

why does everyone suddenly want to go and live in the US ?

is it the GBP U$D ratio ?

Milan.

Comment

Working...
                    X