• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Business mileage expenses- tax year?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Business mileage expenses- tax year?

Hi. I have a limited company and drive to my contracts in my own car. I therefore claim business mileage from my own Ltd company, and understand that it is 40p/mile for the first 10K miles and then 25p/mile thereafter. My question is from what date does the mileage counter reset? Is it:
    1) From the day my Limited company was set up and I was it's only employee
    2) From the first day I did business related mileage
    3) From day 1 of my first contract
    4) April 5th ie my personal tax year

The 10k threshold applies to your personal tax year and it starts from April 6th. The company deducts from profits whatever sums you have claimed in the company year.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Thanks xoggoth

Comment

so every 6th April it resets?

So come April 6th everyting will reset for me and i'll be able to claim 40p/mile upto 10,000miles and then back to 25p/mile....?
        Keep it clean!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Maxamus
          so every 6th April it resets?

So come April 6th everyting will reset for me and i'll be able to claim 40p/mile upto 10,000miles and then back to 25p/mile....?
          Yep. Lasts about 2 1/2 months for me.

It's your personal allowance, nothing really to do with the business. You could pay yourself more in travel expenses, except you'd then have to pay tax on the extra. Or you could pay yourself less and claim some extra tax relief (there's actually a reason for doing that to do with dividends, but it makes my head hurt ).
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

doesnt last me that long either with me being a highways engineer
            Keep it clean!!!

Comment

Working...
            X