• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Not sure how I should play this one...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure how I should play this one...

As you may know, I'm coming to the end of my contract ( ). During a review of work done and work left to do, the boss casually mentioned that he'd take my little black book when I left.

Now this book is my work log and diary. It's got everything I've done on the project, all the meetings I've attended and a list (almost) everything I've sent and received with names and date. It's also got personal stuff in it, cos it's mine.

No-one appears to keep notes (or minutes) around here and there's little in the way of QA so there are no instructions on keeping minutes.

Also it's a moleskine book that cost me £11.

He didn't even say 'please' he just assumed that I'd give it to him and was surprised when I said no. 'But you've got everything in it!' was all he said, dismayed.

I quickly realised that this might cause problems, I said I'd consider his request.

If he got stroppy and said that there was company sensitive info in my book, where would I stand? I'm very reluctant to let this book go as you never know when you might refer back to it in the (unlikely, I hope) event of evidence needing to be produced.

(I like my boss, but was disappointed in him regarding this matter.)

Could I cause problems for myself by sticking to my guns, or should I use a marker pen to black-out the personal stuff and just hand it over?
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Originally posted by cojak
    As you may know, I'm coming to the end of my contract ( ). During a review of work done and work left to do, the boss casually mentioned that he'd take my little black book when I left.

Now this book is my work log and diary. It's got everything I've done on the project, all the meetings I've attended and a list (almost) everything I've sent and received with names and date. It's also got personal stuff in it, cos it's mine.

No-one appears to keep notes (or minutes) around here and there's little in the way of QA so there are no instructions on keeping minutes.

Also it's a moleskine book that cost me £11.

He didn't even say 'please' he just assumed that I'd give it to him and was surprised when I said no. 'But you've got everything in it!' was all he said, dismayed.

I quickly realised that this might cause problems, I said I'd consider his request.

If he got stroppy and said that there was company sensitive info in my book, where would I stand? I'm very reluctant to let this book go as you never know when you might refer back to it in the (unlikely, I hope) event of evidence needing to be produced.

(I like my boss, but was disappointed in him regarding this matter.)

Could I cause problems for myself by sticking to my guns, or should I use a marker pen to black-out the personal stuff and just hand it over?

Boss

Anyway, I wouldn't give it to him. If he required that any notes you made during your contract were handed over at the end then he should have both a) provided a notebook for you and b) had it stipulated in the contract/schedule.

Consider it also in terms of company information, not personal information. By not informing you that he required the book at the end of the contract you have also recorded your own confidential company information in there which his company has no right to see without a court order - as well as the book being the property of your company not yourself individually.
    Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Photocopy it and give him the copied version with anything not stictly relevant to the contract removed. If he gets shirty then explain that it was never meant for them and contains information private to YourCo.
      They didn't supply the book, so it's not theirs.

You could push to be paid for this info if it wasn't part of your contract, but that might muddy the waters for any future work.

Comment

OK - not boss, PM really.

Photo copying isn't really feasible as most of it is notes and stuff interspersed with personal bits. It's also nearly full.

You're right Bob:

By not informing you that he required the book at the end of the contract you have also recorded your own confidential company information in there which his company has no right to see without a court order
        This is the bit I was annoyed about. That's the tack I'll take.

And if he insists I'll charge him £11 for it - let's see if he's prepared to put his hand in his pocket for it...
        Last edited by cojak; 16 February 2007, 21:33.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."

Comment

Buy an identical book.

Walk into his office, place metal bin on desk, insert book and baste with lighter fluid. Light.

Job Done. Next.

Comment

That's how much the book cost.

I don't intend holding the contents to ransom, but he can pay me for a replacement book!

No money, no book.

It's a small amount but an expensive notebook..

Comment

Can't help you with your current predicament but a couple of thoughts.

In future, if you insist on using a notebook, put client stuff at front and personal at back. If asked for then out come the pages at the back.

I've not used notebooks in many a year because I felt I really needed a "repository of all things useful" but never really found the right medium. Well, that is until recently. Check out TiddlyWiki.

If he really wants your notebook I suggest you simply black out your stuff to make a point and give it to him. Is it that sensitive? Can't you live without it? If not then transfer to somewhere else like, say, a new moleskin book or a TiddlyWiki.

Another point, unless you are into writing everything out in great detail, I would have though it would only make sense to you. I can't understand what I've written let alone what someone else has scribbled down.
              Last edited by OrangeHopper; 16 February 2007, 22:57.

Comment

The contents of the book is not a deliverable and there is no IPR vested in it by the end client so there is no argument. The book is not part of the deal unless you wish to make it so.

End of discussion...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Another point, unless you are into writing everything out in great detail, I would have though it would only make sense to you. I can't understand what I've written let alone what someone else has scribbled down.
                  Quite. It will only show part of the story. I guess I'm really annoyed at having to making up for everyone' else's laziness and lack of organisation. You're right Ratewhore, I'll go with that.

Basically, I won't say anything about the book and wait for him to say something again.

Comment

On reflection, I'll go with Denny's suggestion and photocopy it for him. It will obviously be worth 1/2 a day of my time to him...

Comment

Working...
                    X