• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

complicated business move?!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

complicated business move?!

Hi, I wonder if you guys could help me. I currently run a retail store as a sole trader, but I've got plans!

I'm emigrating with my family and little un, but want to employ someone to run it for me (yes I trust them completely!). I also want to raise some capital by selling a part of it, maybe 20%, so I was thinking of setting up a Ltd company and then having "it" buy my shop. I could then sell shares.

But, I don't really know what I'm doing, so hopefully you can point me in the right direction!

Many thanks
    Andy

What's that got to do with IT contracting?
    It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

Andy

All due respect - you need to get an accountant, who'll probably charge a few hundred $ but at least you'll get the right advise.

Congrats on deciding to get an employee - many sole retailers can't seem to let go (I have a friend who can't... ).

There are many ways to raise capital. I'm sure you could set up a partnership without the need for a Ltd company. You could even just lease the whole shop out and save yourself and hassle if you wanted, kind of like collecting rent. You could re-mortgage some of the business through a bank. etc etc but an accountant is best to advise...

Comment

I don't know much about your business but once you go down the Ltd company route you can forget about flexibility - you are tying yourself up with a whole set of rules and regulations you don't need to. Take professional advice, I bet there's an easier way of doing what you want. if it was me there's no way I'd incorporate. As I said though I don't know much about your business or more properly I just don't know much.
        ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Working...
        X