• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

coming to UK with E101

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

coming to UK with E101

If I (who live in the EU but outside the UK) come and do a contract in the UK, then I will be liable for UK income tax on the income from that contract, but not NIC (if I have an E101 from my country of residence).

Question: how do we work out the sum on which the UK Income Tax is due? It shouldn't be the whole amount because that would take no account of NI or equivalent payments. Would it be the taxable income of a UK resident in the same contrat? Or the equivalent taxable income in my country of residence?

Re:E101

You wouldn't necessarily be due any UK income tax. You could be non-resident for UK tax for example.

If you go through a company then any income would be subject to corporation tax not IT.

Comment

Re: You wouldn't necessarily be due any UK income tax!

How many times do I have to explain this? :-(.

It is not necessary to be Tax resident in a country to be liable to tax in that country.

Almost all developed countries have the rule that income earned whlst physically present (working) in the country is liable to local tax regardless of the person's tax residence.

You work in the country for one month you (are liable to) pay UK tax on one month's local earnings.

Work in the country for 6 months (183 days) and you are liable to pay UK tax on 6 months *world-wide* earnings.

Of course if you're only resident for one month it is very easy to skip off without paying (as no doubt some do) but it isn't legally correct.

Sorry expat, I don't have time to answer the rest of your questions. Perhaps tomorrow?

tim

Comment

MY questions

Tim123,

Sorry expat, I don't have time to answer the rest of your questions
        actually you didn't answer any of my questions

I know perfectly well that tax is due on local income from day 1, and worldwide income from a later date when residency qualification happens. In fact I said that in my first sentence.

My question is on how much? Surely not on the gross income: a resident does not pay income tax on gross income, but on income net of Employers NIC. What is the equivalent sum for a non-resident?

Comment

Re: MY questions

My understanding was that you deduced a notional local NIC equivalent before subjecting the local gross income for local taxation.

Comment

Re:UK IT

It is not necessary to be Tax resident in a country to be liable to tax in that country.

Almost all developed countries have the rule that income earned whlst physically present (working) in the country is liable to local tax regardless of the person's tax residence.

You work in the country for one month you (are liable to) pay UK tax on one month's local earnings.
            Tim - what you say about liability is correct for employees of their own companies; however, if you can convince the UK Revenue that you are subject to tax overseas and that tax equates to any UK charge then you ask if everything you get can be paid tax-free.

The same argument runs true if you are self-employed in the UK and non-resident

Work in the country for 6 months (183 days) and you are liable to pay UK tax on 6 months *world-wide* earnings.
            If you're UK resident, you're UK resident for the full UK tax year. You would be assessed on a UK tax year basis on UK source income or investment income/capital gains remitted to the UK during that tax year. Look at www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/..._notes.pdf
            to see what income is taxed if you become resident.

Comment

Re: MY questions

McBainCo,

congratulations on having read the question. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
              X