• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Two week break in middle of contract! is it legal?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two week break in middle of contract! is it legal?

I have recently (3 weeks ago) signed a 6 month extension to my contract with a large IT company. Through my agency they have now requested a two week break starting next week (i.e. I will not be working and thus not earning).
    Does anyone know if this is legal? Has it happened to anyone else?
    I have the impression the agency are going along with it almost as a 'gesture of good will' and to ensure they do not 'upset' a very large client.
    From my point of view it is very concerning as I am in a contract with no 'get out' clause but I am not earning any money (and finding a two week contract would be very difficult) and they may well ask for another two break for all I know.
    The assumption is they are saving money at the end of the 1st quarter...but of course it also gives them time to re-assess............

It all depends what your new contract says - if the start date is 2 weeks after the end of your last one then you're stuffed.

I think [ although I could be wrong ] that the term "extension" is incorrect, you have a contract that has ended, they are now offering you a new one - the difference being here is that the finish / start dates don't tie up.

If you haven't signed the contract, you can hold out for the extra two weeks, or tell the agent you'll renew but at 5% increase on what you've been paid in the past [ cost of living etc ].

See what they say.

Have you signed the new contract ?
    Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Just re-read your post again, no the agency can't do this unless it specifically allows for it in your contract.

If the agency wants to agree a 'break' with the client then thats fine, but they also have to agree one with you as well.

I'd tell them, no you won't agree to it and invoice them for the days at a standard day rate even though you're not on site.

If the worst comes, they are in breach of contract.

Comment

Originally posted by slackbloke
        I have recently (3 weeks ago) signed a 6 month extension to my contract with a large IT company. Through my agency they have now requested a two week break starting next week (i.e. I will not be working and thus not earning).
        Does anyone know if this is legal? Has it happened to anyone else?
        I have the impression the agency are going along with it almost as a 'gesture of good will' and to ensure they do not 'upset' a very large client.
        From my point of view it is very concerning as I am in a contract with no 'get out' clause but I am not earning any money (and finding a two week contract would be very difficult) and they may well ask for another two break for all I know.
        The assumption is they are saving money at the end of the 1st quarter...but of course it also gives them time to re-assess............
        Surely a good "outside of IR35" pointer. No work to be done in that 2 week period, so you don't get paid. No MOO.

Comment

It all depends on whats happening with the Permies. My client has just done similar for a week because of the end of the financial year. All contractors told not to invoice for 5 days. Permies are not affected. Clear indication for IR35.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

so is it better to take th hit or not - I'm confused ?

Comment

I suspected it would be that way, and the company and the agency have just dressed it up as something that must happen for their own purposes.
              The problem of course is that I also don't want to rock the boat given that I still have 5 months to go.........................
              And of course the wife thinks I now have two weeks to do jobs round the house :-(

Comment

tell her your going on a company funded team building exercise and go to spain for 2 weeks....

Comment

It was done last year to a whole lot of us
                  If its the same company, which wouldn't surprise me, they are a very large US IT company, into anything from mainframes downwards. Is that them?

Comment

don't worry you can use the TLA for them....

Comment

Working...
                    X