• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Accountants

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accountants

I ahve read and read til I can read no more about what to go for lmited company, umbrella etc etc.....I really cannot decide and different people offer different advice. Gaitn keepm telling me to go Tralblazer etc.

I am looking to sit down with someone and go through it all and would appreciate details of good, friendly accountats who'd be willing to advise the ebst way for me and live in horsham , West Sussex.

If you know anyone then please met me know.

Many Thanks Folks

Damian

how is the head thismorning?

Comment

no still confused....IR35 is the sticking point, I work for an agency who provide me to the client.
      Last edited by damo111176; 21 June 2007, 15:15.

Comment

actually, you don't need to be near your accountants. but they do need to be good.

i chose sjd because they were near and had an excellent reputation but i have never been to their offices or met anyone. there has simply been no need.

it is a simple choice really: do you want to pay someone else to do your paperwork or not?

Comment

Originally posted by damo111176
          I ahve read and read til I can read no more about what to go for lmited company, umbrella etc etc.....I really cannot decide and different people offer different advice. Gaitn keepm telling me to go Tralblazer etc.

I am looking to sit down with someone and go through it all and would appreciate details of good, friendly accountats who'd be willing to advise the ebst way for me and live in horsham , West Sussex.

If you know anyone then please met me know.

Many Thanks Folks

Damian
          The first thing to find out is whether you are Inside or Outside of IR35 - once you know that then if you are inside there's no real need to go Ltd.

If however you are outside, then the potential rewards of having your own Ltd are not only a bit of extra cash, you also get more control.

There may be a bit more paperwork involved with Ltd, but I would guess it's only about half hour a month.

Check out the fees that both charge as well.
          Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Originally posted by Bluebird
            The first thing to find out is whether you are Inside or Outside of IR35 - once you know that then if you are inside there's no real need to go Ltd.

...snip.
            Ermm - I assume you mean go Umbrella if inside IR35? Well, there is a counter argument...

1. Most contracts are not inside IR35. Even if this one is, the next probably won't be and an umbrella is not then the best option

2. Inside IR35, you can take 95% of your gross as salary through a LtdCo, or you can take 95% of your gross less the umbrella's fees through an umbrella. You can retain more with the Ltd

3. If you have the LtdCo in place, you can easily cater for other work, changing circumstances, parallel contracts and the like. If you have an umbrella, you are someone else's wage slave and don't have that flexibility

4. With your own company, you can set your own rules (within legal boundaries of course) on expenses and the like, as opposed to having to follow what the umbrella decides to allow you.

Not saying that using an umbrella is a bad choice for an IR35-caught contract, but it is by no means the default option.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Limited Company all the way!
              threenine.co.uk
              Cultivate, Develop & Sustain Innovation

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio
                Ermm - I assume you mean go Umbrella if inside IR35? Well, there is a counter argument...

1. Most contracts are not inside IR35. Even if this one is, the next probably won't be and an umbrella is not then the best option

2. Inside IR35, you can take 95% of your gross as salary through a LtdCo, or you can take 95% of your gross less the umbrella's fees through an umbrella. You can retain more with the Ltd

3. If you have the LtdCo in place, you can easily cater for other work, changing circumstances, parallel contracts and the like. If you have an umbrella, you are someone else's wage slave and don't have that flexibility

4. With your own company, you can set your own rules (within legal boundaries of course) on expenses and the like, as opposed to having to follow what the umbrella decides to allow you.

Not saying that using an umbrella is a bad choice for an IR35-caught contract, but it is by no means the default option.
                I think I said if your are INside there is NO need to go ltd. i.e. use brolly.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluebird
                  I think I said if your are INside there is NO need to go ltd. i.e. use brolly.
                  And I think I said that is a simplistic and potentially more expensive viewpoint. Still, to each their own
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio
                    And I think I said that is a simplistic and potentially more expensive viewpoint. Still, to each their own
                    I agree, I though you were saying that I'd got it backwards...

Comment

Working...
                    X