• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Question for the experts: Choosing an ISP, what do the numbers actually mean ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for the experts: Choosing an ISP, what do the numbers actually mean ?

Alright Lads,

a satellite ISP is offering the following, what does it mean ?

Název linky (WiFi) Telefon + PCO linka zdarma Měsíčně [Kč bez DPH] Rychlost linky [max Kbps] ACC/STAT/UP VIP Datový limit FUP

W-Profi,

[max Kbps] ACC/STAT/UP
    2048/512/256

( what does the numbers mean and are they good ? )

VIP - yes

Data limit - no

FUP - no

Thanks,

Milan.

You really did fall out of the stupid tree and hit every branch on the way down, didn't you benesy?
    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Milan, I thought you used tape transfer for your internet connections?

Comment

less of it you too

looks it's like this (as TB would say),

I've rented apartments with broadband until now, therefore not had to worry or understand any of this stuff, soon my house will be finished and I need to get the internet connection installed.

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes
          less of it you too

looks it's like this (as TB would say),

I've rented apartments with broadband until now, therefore not had to worry or understand any of this stuff, soon my house will be finished and I need to get the internet connection installed.

Milan.
          You are worried about internet connectivity, and you with your mother-in-law still sleeping down in the basement with the goats and oxen! You really need to get your priorities sorted out young man!
          “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

If there was a cheap and easy way to get bb without cable or a phone line then BT would fold.

Get a phone line.
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Make sure the connection doesnt need an ISDN line for the uplink.

Most "Satellite" connections use the Satellite for downlink only. Uplink goes over a fixed line so you need a phone line in anyway.

Looking more closely it looks like they are offering a WiFi link, not satellite at all. It would depend on you being in range of their transmitters.

No idea what the TLA's stand for but for a guess you download speed is 512k, upload is 256. Standard for a normal boradband connection. Dunno what the ACC bit is though.

I dont read Polish so I cant tell you what the rest of it means.
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

thanks Dave

yes it's wifi in and out

it's about 25gbp per month for this service, that's not such a good price is it

for 512kpbs in and 256 out

hmm.

Milan.

Comment

Wouldn't bother with that Benes old chap. The usual household interference will kill your speed. You're better off with something wired.
                  Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                  threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

inside the house it's a wired network

you mean that the wifi link to the house won't be the speed
                    they say it is ?

Milan.

Comment

Working...
                    X