• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New contract with nothing in writing?!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New contract with nothing in writing?!

Hi

Well I am new to this forum but not new to posting or to the world of contracting, having been a consultant for too many years!

I have a new contract, actually due to start today but they called me late on friday and asked if i could start on tuesday instead. I agreed but am thinking of invoicing for that day anway.

More importantly, I have no contract with the agency. When i asked about one, as all my other contracts have had one in place before I even set foot on the clients site, she said "it was more of a gentlemans agreement" which I was so stunned about, i didn't really respond.

She said she could get onto the client about putting a one pager together but all the same, I will not have this before I am due to start and generally my contracts are about 20 pages long. As a limited company I need a contract as protection and for all the other reasons we know, generally it smells a bit fishy to me.

Would anyone have suggestions for how to handle this or where I can get a contract from which I could get the client to agree to?

Also, as I have not actually signed anything, could I actually work for the client direct??

I await responses......thanks in advance

aj

Originally posted by jamie
    Would anyone have suggestions for how to handle this or where I can get a contract from which I could get the client to agree to?
    Yes, don't do it without anything in writing. You'll be opening yourself up for non-payment and there'll be little in the way of redress.

However, if you can get the agency and client to e-mail you with details of what they want you to do and how you will be paid then that at least should have some legal weight - and if they refuse to e-mail you, definitely do not attend the client's site.

If you are a member of the PCG, you can send off one of their standard contracts to be signed.
    Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob
      Yes, don't do it without anything in writing. You'll be opening yourself up for non-payment and there'll be little in the way of redress.

However, if you can get the agency and client to e-mail you with details of what they want you to do and how you will be paid then that at least should have some legal weight - and if they refuse to e-mail you, definitely do not attend the client's site.

If you are a member of the PCG, you can send off one of their standard contracts to be signed.
      Thanks for your response

I don't think the agency that I am dealing with is used to contracting and people like me - effectively, I am being put into the company as a temp....no, i'm not happy about that one either.

Got an email just now from the agency, this was the full extent:

You have a new placement.

Placement Id: 2303
      Client: xxxxx
      Manager: xxxxx

I have never worked on just 12 words before!! I'm just agog.

Apparantly, I am supposed to be seeing the woman from the agency this week but nothing has been confirmed and quite frankly, I have been burnt too many times to take any known risks.

I will apply pressure today to get something in writing, at least the basics and make sure thats agreed to before I attend to site.

Legally, surely there's a huge difference between being a consultant from a limited company and a "temp"??

And no, I'm not a member of the PCG, so cannot use their standard contracts (?) Presumably I could use my own contract though (I could get one drawn up)

Thank you

AJ

Comment

Thanks for your response

I don't think the agency that I am dealing with is used to contracting and people like me - effectively, I am being put into the company as a temp....no, i'm not happy about that one either.

Got an email just now from the agency, this was the full extent:

You have a new placement.

Placement Id: 2303
        Client: xxxxx
        Manager: xxxxx

I have never worked on just 12 words before!! I'm just agog.

Apparantly, I am supposed to be seeing the woman from the agency this week but nothing has been confirmed and quite frankly, I have been burnt too many times to take any known risks.

I will apply pressure today to get something in writing, at least the basics and make sure thats agreed to before I attend to site.

Legally, surely there's a huge difference between being a consultant from a limited company and a "temp"??

And no, I'm not a member of the PCG, so cannot use their standard contracts (?) Presumably I could use my own contract though (I could get one drawn up)

Thank you

AJ

Who's the agency?

Comment

Originally posted by Kyajae
          Who's the agency?
          Pure Resourcing Solutions (www.prs.uk.com)

Have you heard of them?

AJ

Comment

Have you heard of them?

AJ
            No. I was just curious to see if you'd name & shame.

Comment

Have you heard of them?

AJ
              Seems to be a lot of pink on their website. Perhaps they're into shafting in more ways than one.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyajae
                No. I was just curious to see if you'd name & shame.
                i have no problems with naming and shaming, IMHO, they're all as bad as each other anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob
                  I'm putting together a assignment schedule, so at least I will have something in writing which I will ensure they sign before I do anything.

Its the usual stuff - contract period, daily rate, payment terms and notice period.

They also said I would be paid a bonus on completion so I have included this as a special term.

Do you think this is sufficient information??

Thanks
                  AJ

Comment

I'm putting together a assignment schedule, so at least I will have something in writing which I will ensure they sign before I do anything.

Its the usual stuff - contract period, daily rate, payment terms and notice period.

They also said I would be paid a bonus on completion so I have included this as a special term.

Do you think this is sufficient information??

Thanks
                    AJ

Do you have all the other bits to make the contract safe from IR35?

Comment

Working...
                    X