• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Daily subsistence expenses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daily subsistence expenses

How many people claim for their lunch every day when on site? I was previously with a MSC who encouraged this. Now I am a LTD. should I still collect all my receipts for sarnies etc. Seems a bit trivial I know

NO

Unless you wount be returning home on the evening i.e. staying over in a hotel etc.

If your going to be coming home every day after work then dont do it because you cant do it.

You'll need accomodation reciepts to back up your claims that you were staying away from home and therefore are claiming the cost of meals etc.
    Keep it clean!!!

Comment

Cheers Maxamus

Thanks Giant

Comment

Originally posted by Burdock
        How many people claim for their lunch every day when on site? I was previously with a MSC who encouraged this. Now I am a LTD. should I still collect all my receipts for sarnies etc. Seems a bit trivial I know
        I beg to differ. I travel to and from a gig every day. I claim £5/day unreceipted subsistence and I have a letter from HMRC agreeing to this.

Comment

You can only claim £5.00 per day for the UK anyway. £10.00 for outside of the UK. But like your man thier said, only if you have to stay away from home.
          threenine.co.uk
          Cultivate, Develop & Sustain Innovation

Comment

Anyone heard the little rumour that the £5 per day thingy is to be scrapped after 6th April too?

Anyone (else) confirm this?

Comment

Isn't the £5/day unreceipted personal incidental expenses (PIE) generally allowed for things like newspapers and an accumulation of smaller items you'd need to make your stay away from home pallatable, and therefore doesn't have to include meals?

Can't remember as I'm too lazy to keep all the receipts for meals so just claim the £5/day I'm away from my permanent address. Can't get many meals for a fiver these days anyway!

If the inland revenue ever question this £5/day unreceipted expenses just say it was agreed by your accountant following HM guidelines for working away from home. Worked for me when I had an expenses investigation some years ago.
              Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
              Feist - I Feel It All
              Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

So, can I just clarify: you cannot claim for any of this if you are *not staying overnight away from home*.

Oldie contractor I know claims a fiver day whenever on site.

Also, why did Giant allow us to claim for lunch every day. Better not think too much about this one

Comment

There a sticky thread all about dispensations. Read it. The normal reaction is then to stick fingers in ears and go "I can't hear you".

Comment

I was going to ask the same question until I found the link below. With my old MSC I could claim 9.50 per day when away from home upto 10 hours, anything over that 23.50

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/bimmanual/bim47705.htm

Comment

Working...
                    X