• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

'Buy' back my home PC / laptop for my company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Buy' back my home PC / laptop for my company

Might have been asked already somewhere in this forum.......
    Is it possible for me to 'buy' back my home PC / laptop for my company (as I do use these when I work from home in the course of my contract), and claim these through my limited company ?
    Ta.

You'd probably have to take into account depreciation (which is chronic in PC's).

Comment

Originally posted by Robwg
      You'd probably have to take into account depreciation (which is chronic in PC's).
      Yep I would, both my desktop and laptop are showing their age, so I guess it wouldnt be a great amount, so the answer would be yes I could do this?

Comment

No reason not to, as long as the price is realistic. You can't pay yourself £25k for a 5 year old P3 Pentium to save a bit of taxation, for example.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio
          No reason not to, as long as the price is realistic. You can't pay yourself £25k for a 5 year old P3 Pentium to save a bit of taxation, for example.
          Cheers - for the advice

Comment

I'm probably missing something here but if I wanted to buy my laptop back from me, for my Ltd how do I do that. Do I just write myself a receipt and pay using a company cheque?

Or do I need to use an intermediary? i.e. sell it to a mates ebay shop for £390 and then get my Ltd to buy it for £400.

Sorry, if as I suspect, I'm being dumb here.

Cheers,
            Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Langkawi
              I'm probably missing something here but if I wanted to buy my laptop back from me, for my Ltd how do I do that. Do I just write myself a receipt and pay using a company cheque?

Or do I need to use an intermediary? i.e. sell it to a mates ebay shop for £390 and then get my Ltd to buy it for £400.

Sorry, if as I suspect, I'm being dumb here.

Cheers,
              Alan
              Just wirte yourself a letter stating that you are selling IT equipment to your co and write yourself a CHQ from your co a/c.

Comment

I believe the money from the sale will count as income, inc being subject to VAR if your are registered. (unless somebody knows different?)
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth
                  I believe the money from the sale will count as income, inc being subject to VAR if your are registered. (unless somebody knows different?)
                  Would it only be VAT if you bought it off the company. I think they are talking about doing this the other way round. Person -> Company.

Comment

Oh yeh. Not reading post properly. Humiliated. Shoots self.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                    X