PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Email Clients

Karl1
5th May 2002, 11:42
Having migrated to broadband I would like to automate the checking of several email accounts.
I cannot start multiple session sof outlook express so I was wondering if ......
a) can i get multiple sessions of express running
b) if there is any PC software that I can install that will check all my mail accounts and hold the data locally

Mark Snowdon
5th May 2002, 12:49
Karl,

product called popweasel will check multiple pop2/3 accounts and deliver to a local mail server. Regularly sold with mailgate a windows mail server.

email me for info - you will be surprized to hear that I resell it...

Mark Snowdon

RobAnt
5th May 2002, 16:11
Am I missing something here?

Outlook (all versions) can pop several (well as many as you like) accounts.

Tools/Accounts/Mail tab/New

JohnBoy
5th May 2002, 21:57
RobAnt's correct, both Outlook and Express can both check multiple e-mail accounts, and save to your personal folders.

I currently have a number of POP3 accounts, both UK and Belgium, which I access using Outlook Express.

The only point you have to consider is that for outgoing e-mails you will have to ensure the server you use is the one you're currently connected to, to avoid 'No Relaying Allowed' etc, i.e. when you create a new letter select the account to use for sending (you can of cause specify the one address for all accounts as being the sender).

Make sense?

RobAnt
6th May 2002, 00:38
Absolutely, and what's more you <!--EZCODE BOLD START--> don't<!--EZCODE BOLD END--> need to spawn several copies of Outlook to do it.

Using rules, you can separate the incoming emails from each account into their own respective "inbox" folders - or even better, categories them according to subject, sender or your own headings.

Of course, check out Mark's solution too - Outlook isn't everyone's cup of tea.

But it does for me. It's (Express) a reasonable news reader too.

Mark Snowdon
6th May 2002, 09:25
sorry I am over complicating, popweasel is a good product, but might be overkill for a couple of users, It comes into its own if you run a full local mailserver that you want to use with mail coming in from several sources.

Collect mail from multiple POP accounts.
Pass mail on to SMTP enabled servers like Lotus Notes/Domino and MS Exchange/Exchange 2000.

Karl1
6th May 2002, 13:27
God I must be thick....!
Thanks guys, have swicthed from multiple identies to single entity, multiple mail accounts and seperate inboxes.
Ta very much.

Lynnj
6th May 2002, 16:52
I've been reading this with interest guys. My webhost (Magic Moments) allows people to email me via my co.uk account but has only allowed me to send email as co.uk by using their website and sending 'on-line'. When I asked them if I could send via Outlook and send attachments, their reply was:

"This is possible now if you use an ISP with an smtp server. We have no plans to introduce our own SMTP server as there is no feasible way for us to do so without our mail servers being over run by spammers. Hope this helps."

It doesn't really as I've tried to change my outbound email address without success. I'll have to experiment more with this.

Is their response usual?

Mark Snowdon
6th May 2002, 17:14
Lynnj,

no definatly not usual - what it suggests is that they dont know how to configure a mail server properly.

smtp is the internet mail system (Simple Mail Transport Protocol) which does the job of moving email from server to server, the second part of email is POP (Post Office Protocol) which holds the mail on their server waiting for you to collect it.

try in outlook going into your account details and setting the return address to your .co.uk address and see if emails go successfully.

can you not send attachments either ?

whats the address of your isp ?

Lynnj
6th May 2002, 17:37
My ISP is breathe (which does have smtp for breathe.com) Mark.

I'm getting a bit peeved about this as it doesn't look very professional me sending emails from @breathemail.net. (If you look at my emails to you, you'll see what I mean.) And it I'm increasingly ticked as Magic Moments email facility is not as good to use as almost anyone else's email. They use something called VCP (Virtual Control Panel) which is very basic. You can compose email and add a signature but that's about it.

I've got to spend time mucking about with my email accounts now.

I think I'll change hosts when my contract needs to be renewed - the domain is mine.

JohnBoy
6th May 2002, 22:04
Lynnj, what Mark is saying is basically right.

It's a similar problem to Karl1's, i.e. you need to add a mail account which specifies Magic Moments as the 'incoming' POP3 server, and breathe as the 'outgoing' SMTP. Your email address on the mail account should of course still be your .co.uk (e.g. lynnj@mydomain.co.uk), so that people can reply. You will of course have to dial into breathe to send emails.

I am surprised though that 'Magic Moments' don't provide their own SMTP service as they were a company I was considering for domain hosting/email forwarding some time ago.

----------------

A bit further clarification for anyone else who's "been reading this with interest".

POP3 - as Mark stated, is a Post Office Protocol which allows you to receive email by having it forwarded to a specific server. This can then be retrieved using 'basic authentication', i.e. id/password, from any computer connected through the internet, regardless of ISP, service provider etc, etc. As mail is held on the server it also provides lots of other useful options such as allowing you to keep/delete it on the server before/after downloading, e.g. you wish to 'sync' multiple computers.

SMTP - is the standard protocol used to send mail. It doesn't require authentication but many ISP's (correctly) restrict it's use to people who are part of the network, either by using caller id, network logon, or prior POP3 authentication. SMTP can generally only be used when you're sending mail using an address which is part of the network you're logged onto.

Summary - basically you can use whatever email address you want, have as many domains/ISP's as you want, and consolidate emails in any way you want, as long as you ensure you use the correct servers for each stage.

Next lesson IMAP4...:)

----------------

Now if only someone could help me with my question about XP and Windows Messenger :(

RobAnt
7th May 2002, 01:04
Actually, no ISP allows you to SEND email via any service except their own SMTP servers.

So Lynn's domain hosts are perfectly correct in what they say. They could not accept SMTP traffic from her because they do not offer end user node facilities of their own. They can only store and forward traffic for collection by POP accounts.

The outgoing side of all your email accounts must go via your ISPs SMTP server - your ISP will actively bar all other SMTP traffic.

You simply configure your email accounts to look as though they are coming from your own domain, by editing the email and reply address to reflect your own domain email address.

IE in Outlook, on the General Tab of each account, set the Email and Reply address to your own details (ie lynn@mydomain.co.uk in both parts)

On the Server Tab

set the POP setting to your domains pop server ie <popbox>.mydomain.co.uk (<popbox>as advised by your domain hosts).

On each account set the SMTP setting to that advised by your ISP = ie smpt.myisp.co.uk.

Set the Account Name & password setting to the actual account you want to pick up from your <popbox>.

Some domain hosts allow you to have several accounts on your domain, with an email address for each. So each "named" account would need a separate email account set up within Outlook.

However, there is often a way to configure a single email address to pick up every address that is sent to that domain - ie <anythingyoulike>@mydomain.co.uk.

It all gets a bit complicated from here on in, but once the concept is grasped it is simplicity itself (and as many people here can testify, if I can get it anyone can).

"But I want to be able to SEND from different account names as well" - I hear you cry.

Ok, from within Outlook you can do that too. All you have to do is ensure that an outlook email account exists for that account then you can "Send Using" instead of simply using the Send button. Send Using is found in the "File" drop down menu.

Oh, and just to clarify one final point. You don't have to have a named account set up at your domain host to "send using" that account - simply set it up the General tab using the details you want to be displayed in the outgoing mail - but set the details on the Server tab to identical settings of the primary collecting account - it won't matter. You could have 2 5 15 or 20 accounts, all poping and smtping the same actual accounts, but displaying different information in your actual outgoing emails.

Of course its not "best practice". It starts getting overly complicated and unmanageable.

Should I put up some help pages on my website with screen captures, etc.?? How much interest is there in this topic?

Mark Snowdon
7th May 2002, 09:11
<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote>Quote:<hr> Actually, no ISP allows you to SEND email via any service except their own SMTP servers.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->

unless you get hold of an open relay - 9 out of 10 spammers recommend them ;-)

RobAnt
7th May 2002, 09:17
:lol :lol

Of course.

Lynnj
7th May 2002, 15:07
Thanks, everyone (particularly Robant). I can now send email using my co.uk account.

RobAnt
7th May 2002, 19:32
: blush

RobAnt
9th May 2002, 19:14
I've done a simple tutorial. Positive criticism and/or comments on how to improve it would be very welcome.

www.ramms.co.uk/email_accounts.htm (http://www.ramms.co.uk/email_accounts.htm)

PS/ I accept that my description of SMTP blocking isn't totally technically correct - but it is from a practical standpoint.

In fact, prior to my previous statement, ISPs DO NOT block outbound SMTP traffic to remote services. But most remote services (such as ISPs) block incoming SMTP from anywhere other than known hosts.

England IT
10th May 2002, 13:47
BTW, Yahoo have stopped pop access for their free email accounts.

Is this right or have they just asked for cash from me and no-one else?

RobAnt
10th May 2002, 22:52
Don't know - would be interested to find out though.

Are you saying that Yahoo do not provide POP access at all, or just that you have to dial in using a Yahoo account to POP?

I cannot imagine any reason why they would do that, apart from creating another revenue stream, or just wanting to charge for the space your incoming email is using up on their servers.

Do you have a particularly busy inbox at yahoo?

England IT
10th May 2002, 23:24
I've been using POP access for ages with Outlook for my yahoo account. But recently they started sending me email saying that the service would stop unless a fee was paid. I only receive, at the most, five 1kb to 20kb messages a day on it.

FanPilot
20th May 2002, 22:12
If you want a mailserver, that will collect all your POP3 emails, and hold all your outgoing SMTP mails until you connect to the net again (for your own network) then I have written a mailserver and released it for free.

It is at www.revilloc.com/mailserver (http://www.revilloc.com/mailserver)

BORoarke
7th July 2002, 05:16
This is in reguards to:
"Absolutely, and what's more you don't need to spawn several copies of Outlook to do it.

Using rules, you can separate the incoming emails from each account into their own respective "inbox" folders - or even better, categories them according to subject, sender or your own headings.

RobAnt
I've come over all shy!"

Could someone please explain step by step how to setup multiple email accounts on Outlook? I am a webmaster and have 5 different email accounts associated with my website. I set up Outlook XP with all 5 accounts but when I click on send/receive, all the messages are downloaded into just 1 inbox. Could some one please show me how to have each different email accounts email go into its own seperate "inbox" so I can have them neatly orginized? I would appreciate any and all help. I have been racking my brain for the last 5 hours trying to figure this out. Thank you in advance for all the help. You can contact me at BOroarke@lvcm.com

BORoarke
7th July 2002, 05:18
This is in reguards to:
"Absolutely, and what's more you don't need to spawn several copies of Outlook to do it.

RobAnt
I've come over all shy!"

Could someone please explain step by step how to setup multiple email accounts on Outlook? I am a webmaster and have 5 different email accounts associated with my website. I set up Outlook XP with all 5 accounts but when I click on send/receive, all the messages are downloaded into just 1 inbox. Could some one please show me how to have each different email accounts email go into its own seperate "inbox" so I can have them neatly orginized? I would appreciate any and all help. I have been racking my brain for the last 5 hours trying to figure this out. Thank you in advance for all the help. You can contact me at BOroarke@lvcm.com

BORoarke
7th July 2002, 05:19
This is in reguards to:

RobAnt
I've come over all shy!"

BORoarke
7th July 2002, 05:23
im sorry guys for the multiple postings. Each time i tried to submit it, the page went blank and I did not know it posted. Sorry again.

Incubus
7th July 2002, 09:48
I'm not sure if this is the most effective way, but it's how I do it and works fine...

Open Outlook

Create the inboxes that you want

Select Rules Wizard from the Tools Menu

Click New...

Select 'Start from a Blank Rule'

Select 'Check Messages when they arrive'

Click Next

Check the 'Sent to People or Distribution List' box

In the bottom half of the screen click on the underlined link. This will open your contacts folder. If the email addresses you want to use aren't there, add them using the 'New' button.

Select the address you want and click OK

Click Next

Check the 'Move it to the specified folder' box

In the bottom half of the screen click on the underlined 'specified' link. This will open a folder tree. Select the one you want and click OK.

Click Next. Add any exceptions if you want to...

Click Next. Enter a name for the rule (I use the Email address I've set up the rule for)

Check run the rule now if you want to..
Click Finish.

Hope this helps!!