• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

newbie question but important - please help:)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

newbie question but important - please help:)

Hi I am looking to break into the investment banking industry as a c++ programmer, I am relatively new to this industry and quite young.

This would not be contracting work, permenant in fact. But I thought this would be a very informed place to ask around.

Qu below

Recently a recruiter has approached me and asked for exclusive access to grant him exclusive permission to send my cv onto certain banks.

Is this normal?
    Why would he want to do this?
    Does anyone have any oppinions on Aston Carter (www.astoncarter.co.uk)?

Thank you.

If your CV doesn't get sent to the banks by any other agents, this agent will be the one that takes the cash if/when you get placed by any of them.

Think of the agent as the salesman and yourself as the product/service and you'll soon get the idea.

Comment

This makes sense,

Is it normal for recruiters to do this? And should I say no?

Comment

It is normal for recruiters (aka agents) to do anything that will get cash in their pocket. Much like everybody else (including myself).

I wouldn't recommend that you allow him to do this - it makes you almost entirely dependent on that specific agent to find you a job.

Like the rest of us, keep your eye on Jobserve - if you spot a suitable job, send your CV to the agent, follow up with a telephone call asking for an interview, and see how you get on. Read this forum carefully to find out all the sleazy tricks commonly used by agents.

Comment

ok brilliant.

Any oppinions on Aston Carter (www.astoncarter.co.uk)?

Comment

You shouldn't agree to the agent having exclusive rights, but what is normal practice is that for a project manager, only one CV lands on the desk. Generally PM's will reject the second CV outright. If there is competition for a job there then the PM may well bin your first CV as well. Always make sure you know to which department you are submitted. The agent will tell you so that you don't go through a second agency for the same job, and then don't submit through an alternative agency for that job. But you can still submit to a different dept.

I find the agents at Aston Carter a bit pushy compared to other agencies, they will tend to pressure you, and you have to be tougher about your rate, as they'll try and knock you down, but they do seem to be above board.
            Last edited by BlasterBates; 23 April 2007, 09:15.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Do not agree to this - the guy is trawling and you will be hamstrung for any future contracts.

If he's approached you it probably means that you've got a good CV and he doesn't want any other agency to close in on an easy meal ticket.

Only agree to any exclusive rights for a particular contract for which you know you're being put forward (and maybe not even then) and make it explicit that it's only for that job.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
              X