• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How are your VAT registrations going?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How are your VAT registrations going?

I am puzzled.

I'm a sole trader, had my business since 2004, and I've just recently applied for VAT registration as due to the demise of the MSCs I've picked up a fair bit of new work in the last couple of months and I reckon I'll hit the threshold at some point this year. I applied online about 3 weeks ago, and I got my certificate through yesterday with no further correspondence.

On the same day, I did online applications for 2 contractor clients who are Ltd. One has had his co for over 12 months but like me is only likely to hit the threshold this year, the other has a new company that he has just set up. We've had a request for supporting evidence (contracts & invoices) for the new guy, and nothing at all for the other one.

Do I assume therefore that they are being a lot more thorough with new registrations for Ltds? Or has it always been that way?

Originally posted by Bigbird
    I am puzzled.

I'm a sole trader, had my business since 2004, and I've just recently applied for VAT registration as due to the demise of the MSCs I've picked up a fair bit of new work in the last couple of months ...........

Do I assume therefore that they are being a lot more thorough with new registrations for Ltds? Or has it always been that way?
    Not a great one for cause and effect, are you BB?

It's quantity, not quality that's the problem over in VAT-land. The MSC change has meant that 1000's are leaping into Ltd and registrations, but there's no extra staff to cope with the demand.

They've always been thorough in C&E, I'm not sure that will change so it will just take longer...
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I dont know why people seem to get a problem with this.

I set up a new LTD a while back, told them what it would do and I got instant VAT Registration.

No problem.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Been waiting a month now, needed to send them a contract for proof of income. Didn't have tp do that last time I regisitered 5 years ago.

Last thread on this was quoting upto 3 months.

Comment

Further Info on this

BB - you're right!

I've just been taking a look at another forum - VAT-land now want further proof that all new companies are proper trading companies, not bogus ones created for the purpose of carousel fraud.

This level of checking doesn't apply to companies already trading.

It might be worth advising your people not to go for VAT and company registration together. Set them up and let them hit their VAT target first...
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

There are also inconsistencies between the VAT registration offices. We've had new ltd co's registered in 3 weeks without "proof" of trading being asked for, and on the other hand, from other offices, delays of upto 8 weeks before they even ask for a contract, then another 8 weeks to produce the certificate. I think some offices/staff are taking things too seriously and not using any common sense, whilst others are looking at registrations properly from a risk assessment point of view.

Comment

6 Weeks and still waiting.

I've called C&E but all they will confirm is that they have received my application and that it is being processed. They were not able to confirm whether extra info/documentation would be required or when the registration would likely be complete.

Comment

I submitted mine on April 4th and am waiting. My accountant, a well known one on here, prepared a cover letter which was attached to the application, and also attached the flat rate application.

I'm sincerely hoping this is approved quickly, based on the fact it's a bit hard to do carousel fraud when I'm not claiming any back based on the flat rate scheme, and also the cover letter from an known reputable accountancy firm.

Obviously, the logic of the VAT people may differ from mine!

Comment

Fully agree with WHA, we had a one off client who was registered in 2 weeks!!, some of the offices are taking much longer than others, it just a case of waiting for them to do what they have to do.

Alan

Comment

Do you know how many VAT offices there are that deal with new regs Alan?

I know Wolverhampton do, but I'd always thought they were a big processing centre where most new applications got sent and you only got farmed out to a local office once you were registered. Could be wrong of course, the scope of my VAT knowledge tends to stop at calculating it!

Comment

Working...
                    X