• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

age question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

age question

I am considering giving up the permanent role and taking the plunge into contracting.
    The only concern I have is to do with age, would you consider age to be a factor with clients / agents when looking for work?
    I am only 42, but have concerns that it may be an issue as time goes on?

Depends what you do.

I'm a project manager and about the same age as you. It seems to work for me because my age meets clients expectations of how old an experienced, qualified project manager should be.

But... I can also do Oracle development and it's getting harder to get a role doing that because I'm up against cheaper grads with a grounding in the latest technologies (or so the clients think).
    It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

Depends what field you are in and how up-to-date you are with latest technologies / trends etc.

When I was a permie in senior management I used to recruit contractors in the 40+ bracket as a preference as when it comes to contracors I was always looking for experience. When you are paying contracor rates it is also easier to take when you know you are buying several years worth of know-how.

I am in my early thirties and that seems to be a reasonable age to get contracting work, but it seems pretty impossible to get interim management roles which is what I wanted to do a little of...that is deffo reserved for the 40+ bracket...

The only downside, as oraclesmith said is that there maybe younger guys able to position themselves much cheaper...

In summary...can't see age being an issue...some roles you go for it will work against you, and in some roles it will work for you...good luck
      Property advisor for the people

Comment

I'm 42 as well. Funnily enough, I've found that different companies often have a different "preferred" age group, though of course they would never admit to that. Where I work at the moment, most the developers and programmers are in their 40s and 50s I would say, with a couple slightly younger. In my previous place, nearly everyone was in their 20s or 30s, with a couple of older chaps.

So, although you might not get into one of those new media, cutting edge, Nathan Barley sort of places, there's usually plenty of contracts with the more corporate sort of employers, and some of them may be looking specifically for your (our) age group.

Comment

Also in my early 30's, took the plunge a couple of years back and looking OK for the time being. Mainly do technical consultancy of sorts and feel at the right age for this.

Getting older I can see it being a problem remaining at this level.

Makes you wonder - I have never had anyone check my age anyway, so what's to stop you lying about your age... leave it on your CV and "forget" to update it as the years go by

Comment

Originally posted by TazMaN
            Also in my early 30's, took the plunge a couple of years back and looking OK for the time being. Mainly do technical consultancy of sorts and feel at the right age for this.

Getting older I can see it being a problem remaining at this level.

Makes you wonder - I have never had anyone check my age anyway, so what's to stop you lying about your age... leave it on your CV and "forget" to update it as the years go by
            44 and an infrastruture systems engineer. No prospective client can tell my age from my CV but at interview, it's the selling of yourself as a mautre, reliable, technically competent safe pair of hands that gets the contracts.

You'd be surprised how many yongsters in this game rarely turn up on time on a monday, if at all, due to being on the p1iss and clubbing all weekend. Clients don't want that.

Comment

I'm a mere 41, I don't think age is a problem if you keep yourself up to date techie wise and have the right attitude. I'm starting to slip a bit on both counts but a bout of unemployment should get me back on track. I've worked with plenty of 50+ techie contractors, don't think I've ever worked with a 60+ ! I just had a mid 60s electrician doing some work for me, 3 divorces and ongoing money problems had kept him keen.

Comment

At 60+ I don't intend to care about working any more ... got to leave the remaining years to enjoy life a bit more.

Actually make that 50+ ... semi-retirement here I come!

Comment

I'm 44 and work on a trading floor. I'm one of the oldest people here, but it's all about experience.
                  ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by global-i
                    I am considering giving up the permanent role and taking the plunge into contracting.
                    The only concern I have is to do with age, would you consider age to be a factor with clients / agents when looking for work?
                    I am only 42, but have concerns that it may be an issue as time goes on?
                    I wouldn't worry, unless you are a stripper gram. Otherwise, make sure you market yourself the best you can. If you have experience, knowledge and good contacts there should be no reason to be left on the shelf..

Comment

Working...
                    X