• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SJD accountancy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SJD accountancy

Hi

I am looking for accountancy services, and found SJD through the PCG website. I am a little worried for two reasons:

1) It has been well over 24 hours since I signed up, and I've still not heard from anyone. I would have thought new business should be dealt with within minutes or hours - if not, I would be worried that if I had an urgent issue as a customer, then I could be hanging around a couple of days waiting for someone to answer!

2) They seem to have contradictory information regarding gross 'in your pocket' calculations. Go to this calculator, and type in £385 as your daily rate, thus giving you a £100k a year.

The value for 100k gross a year equates to £6709 a month in your pocket, or just over 77% of your gross income.

you will see that over three years, through a limited company, you can expect to receive £189,410, or £5261 a month. That amounts to just 63%, an awful lot less that the average 80% they claim on the 1st calculator.

So which is right? And are SJD any good?

M
    Last edited by Contractor UK; 30 July 2021, 11:50.

1) They'll answer

2) The funds left once you wind down the company at the end of 3 years. Takes into account all taxes to be paid including your personnel tax; can you say the same for the annual calculator?
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

So you're paying £85 a month to an accountant and after 24 hours you're complaining about them. Equally, take home calculators are for newbies and permies, you need to think in terms of annual turnover.

Why not talk to them first and ask them to get their act together, then come back and bleat about their shortcomings when (if) you get nowhere.

SJD work on the basis you're a professional running a business. Clearly you aren't.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot
        1) They'll answer
        I hope so - but it's well over one business day now. I won't be happy if urgent queires take that long, and it's not possible to phone up someone who doesn't just say they'll take a message.

Originally posted by scooterscot
        2) The funds left once you wind down the company at the end of 3 years. Takes into account all taxes to be paid including your personnel tax; can you say the same for the annual calculator?
        The first calculator proudly states "Monthly take home pay" - that to me means what you get in your pocket, that's yours, and subject to no further taxes. That's what take home pay is.

Which is right, the calculator or the table? That's a significant difference.

Comment

I refer to my earlier answer. You're not a permie. Your take home pay is what you, as director, decide to pay yourself. How can anyone calculate that accurately other than you?
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio
            So you're paying £85 a month to an accountant and after 24 hours you're complaining about them. Equally, take home calculators are for newbies and permies, you need to think in terms of annual turnover.

Why not talk to them first and ask them to get their act together, then come back and bleat about their shortcomings when (if) you get nowhere.

SJD work on the basis you're a professional running a business. Clearly you aren't.
            Crikey! Why be so rude malvolio? I am just asking for advice on SJD here?

I have moved over from an EBT-type service to my own Ltd in this new tax year, and trying to get an idea of how much money I can expect to get as a percentage of my gross. By 'per month' I just mean 'per year divided by 12'.

Please explain what it was I wrote that prompted such a rude snipe???

Comment

Hi,

I assume you spoke to one of us here rather than just joining on line? If so, they would have told you that your account manager will contact you to introduce themselves within 48 hours, and that if you had any urgent queries to contact them and they would resolve.

In terms of the calculators, hands up - yes - I agree the differences could be confusing. The payment calculator assumes a "best case" scenario, whereas the comparison figures show an average return. When running a Ltd Co you have choices as to how much and when to draw your income - this directly affects how much tax you end up paying.

My email is simonatsjdaccountancy.com, so feel free to drop me a line if you need anything or call me here on 01442-232700

Originally posted by marcosscriven
              Hi

I am looking for accountancy services, and found SJD through the PCG website. I am a little worried for two reasons:

1) It has been well over 24 hours since I signed up, and I've still not heard from anyone. I would have thought new business should be dealt with within minutes or hours - if not, I would be worried that if I had an urgent issue as a customer, then I could be hanging around a couple of days waiting for someone to answer!

2) They seem to have contradictory information regarding gross 'in your pocket' calculations. Go to this calculator, and type in £385 as your daily rate, thus giving you a £100k a year.

The value for 100k gross a year equates to £6709 a month in your pocket, or just over 77% of your gross income.

you will see that over three years, through a limited company, you can expect to receive £189,410, or £5261 a month. That amounts to just 63%, an awful lot less that the average 80% they claim on the 1st calculator.

So which is right? And are SJD any good?

M
              Last edited by Contractor UK; 30 July 2021, 11:51.
              P.S. What Spreadsheet? Revolutionising the contracting market again.

Comment

I refer to my earlier answer. You're not a permie. Your take home pay is what you, as director, decide to pay yourself. How can anyone calculate that accurately other than you?
                Of course, one decides as director how much you pay yourself.

I am simply trying to determine, if I were to take out all the income from the company, either as PAYE or dividends, what would be the maximum left after all corportate and personal taxes.

That's all - why is that so unreasonable?

I know that one can leave money in the company. I know the one can vary PAYE and dividends payments.

I just don't know what is the maximum I could get in my pocket, for a given projected annual turnover.

Why so agressive for goodness' sake?

Comment

Originally posted by simonsjdaccountancy
                  Hi,

I assume you spoke to one of us here rather than just joining on line? If so, they would have told you that your account manager will contact you to introduce themselves within 48 hours, and that if you had any urgent queries to contact them and they would resolve.

In terms of the calculators, hands up - yes - I agree the differences could be confusing. The payment calculator assumes a "best case" scenario, whereas the comparison figures show an average return. When running a Ltd Co you have choices as to how much and when to draw your income - this directly affects how much tax you end up paying.

My email is simonatsjdaccountancy.com, so feel free to drop me a line if you need anything or call me here on 01442-232700
                  Thank you Simon

According to 'malvolio' though your services are not for me...

If they are, then all I was trying to point out was that 48 hours does seem quite a bit of time before anything at all is done.

I called on Friday afternoon, signed up online Monday morning. I called this Tuesday afternoon and they just said they would take a message.

My concern is that if it takes 2 days to essentially pick a name from a local office, could that not be indicative that it could take even longer to answer questions in the future, when one may require an urgent answer.

My post was to query people's real experiences with SJD, and also to clarify the situation with projecting 'in pocket' figures (which is a 'newbie' or 'unprofessional' thing to want to do, apparently).

It does not seem to have been met kindly by some!
                  Last edited by marcosscriven; 24 April 2007, 13:08.

Comment

Succint!

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Working...
                    X