• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New to contracting - Help

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to contracting - Help

Hi Guys,

I have been offered a temporary position starting for 2 months with the oppurtunity to maybe go permanent. The company have told me that I need an umbrella company so I have been doing some research into how it all works this afternoon.
    Please could somebody tell me roughly what my net monthly pay should be as the calculators I have used seem to give quite different amounts.
    I am going to be paid £8 per hour over 37.5 hours a week with 200 miles travelling per week.

Any help really appreciated,

Kind regards,
    Dan

Wouldn't you be better flipping burgers for £8/hr?
    Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

I'd choose the umbrella company with the lowest charges. They are all doing the same job. Ignore the calculators that they have on their websites, they often make hopelessly optimistic assumptions about your expenses.

Using this calculator:
      http://www.contractoruk.com/money/ir35_calculator.html

..you get £796.57 / month (I don't know how many hours / day it assumes)

For car travel you may be claim 40p / mile (for the first 10k miles) - this is not extra money, it is just money that does not have tax deducted from it.

Comment

Originally posted by SoupDragon
        I'd choose the umbrella company with the lowest charges. They are all doing the same job. Ignore the calculators that they have on their websites, they often make hopelessly optimistic assumptions about your expenses.

Using this calculator:
        http://www.contractoruk.com/money/ir35_calculator.html

..you get £796.57 / month (I don't know how many hours / day it assumes)

For car travel you may be claim 40p / mile (for the first 10k miles) - this is not extra money, it is just money that does not have tax deducted from it.
        Thanks for the reply

Will I definately be in the IR35 bracket?

Thanks,
        Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Dan_L
          Thanks for the reply

Will I definately be in the IR35 bracket?

Thanks,
          Dan
          Not if you use an umbrella. You'll be paying full PAYE and NICs as an employee of the umbrella, so IR35 is not a consideration

I realise this is a temporary gig, but you should still read at least one of the First Timer guides!
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Hi,

Thanks again for the replies. Does this look about right to you guys?

Monthly Income £1300
            Deducatable Expenses £485 (56 miles per day at 40p Per mile)

Employers NI 44.30
            Employees NI 32.39
            Employee Tax 38.42
            Total All Tax 115.11
            Fees 62.50
            Total Net Income 1,122.39

Many thanks,
            Dan

Comment

Working...
            X