• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

advice needed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

advice needed

I need to name a Permanent Secretary for my new Ltd co.

The question is who is the optimum person / acquaintance to use for this?

I've heard that it may be more efficient to use ones accountant, as it should ensure that any legal stuff goes direct to them. (Comments?)

I've also heard people recommend using a family member who you could salary a nominal amount to enhance your tax position.

Personally, I'd rather use my pet cat. I think he would be purrfect for a purrmanent secretary role But will I be able to legally sign on his behalf? And is there any other reason why I couldn't do this?

Thanks!

It would be nice if Companies House would accept the signature of a furry @#%$ on it's forms (awaiting a suitable response from Roger Rabbit!).

Your accountant is likely to charge you for his efforts & won't be too keen to take the appointment for legal reasons (roles & responsibilities, etc). Best to ask a brother, sister or other close family member.

Comment

When I started contracting I was talked into using my accountant for this (at an appropriate fee) for exactly the same reason – “legal stuff goes direct to them”

I discovered that they do next to nothing for this, and always got me (the director) to sign for everything in any case. I would recommend you get a family member to do it.

Same goes for registered office service, which some accountants will also provide. You find that all routine paperwork comes to your place of business (home) in any case.

Comment

I've used this chap for the past 4 years, and had nothing but excellent advice and service.

He's no relation either!!

Comment

> I've used this chap for the past 4 years, and had nothing
          > but excellent advice and service.

I'm all sorted now. But thanks for your recommendation anyway.

Comment

Rob - your man looks like an extra from the Sopranoes.

Comment

I hope his services aren't as crooked as his picture is.

Comment

Absolutely not - straight as a die. He might be a bit upset at your suggestion.

Comment

Working...
                X