• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bank Holidays

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bank Holidays

Hi all.

What's the deal for contractors working bank holidays?

I have a one month contract, paid daily, so I see it as losing a day of my contract. I want to work it, the weather is going to be rubbish and I don't need a holiday!

They say it's too much hassle to get me into the building, as it will be closed, and that there isn't enough urgency in the project to warrant me working from home.

Do they have the final word on this?

Thanks for any advice!

I always take the BH's

Comment

Originally posted by Gros
      Hi all.

I have a one month contract, paid daily, so I see it as losing a day of my contract. I want to work it, the weather is going to be rubbish and I don't need a holiday!

They say it's too much hassle to get me into the building, as it will be closed, and that there isn't enough urgency in the project to warrant me working from home.

Thanks for any advice!
      If you can't work becuase the client isn't, you can't work. If you can't work, you can't get paid. No MOO. This is a good thing.

You partly right about losing a day, but your contract will have been funded by the client to a maximum value representing n days of your time at your gross rate. He will be quite happy to save a day's worth of it, but you could try and add it the other end - assuming there's work for you to do...

Take a day off and don't sweat it.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by Gros
        Hi all.

Thanks for any advice!
        If the office is closed and there isn't any work - why would you be going in ?
        Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio
          If you can't work becuase the client isn't, you can't work. If you can't work, you can't get paid. No MOO. This is a good thing.

You partly right about losing a day, but your contract will have been funded by the client to a maximum value representing n days of your time at your gross rate. He will be quite happy to save a day's worth of it, but you could try and add it the other end - assuming there's work for you to do...

Take a day off and don't sweat it.

Yeah I have a contract for 60 days and as I can’t work here when the client is off then it just gets added onto the end of the contract. If you’re contracted for a set amount of days then it will just be added onto the end of your contract. Enjoy the day off.

Comment

How did you secure such a short term contract?

I am in a similar situation and need a short term contract (4 weeks) before starting a perm role - any help appreciated!!!

Comment

Originally posted by PJM

I am in a similar situation and need a short term contract (4 weeks) before starting a perm role - any help appreciated!!!
              60 "working" days = 3 months.

Best is to try all the agencies....
              Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Originally posted by Bluebird
                60 "working" days = 3 months.

Best is to try all the agencies....

I think he is referring to Gros's original post. As Gros said "I have a one month contract, paid daily"

Barrie

Comment

Originally posted by Bluebird
                  If the office is closed and there isn't any work - why would you be going in ?
                  Well there is work...I listed things I could do for them, to be checked on Tuesday morning!

Comment

Originally posted by PJM

I think it's fairly common in IT isn't it? They don't know if they have the requirement for any more than that, it's a rolling contract so I hope it will get extended, it's a good one.

Comment

Working...
                    X