• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sonos Music system - anyone with this ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sonos Music system - anyone with this ?

Hi guys,

i am planning on buying a sonos music system but having difficulty deciding btw zp80 /zp100. the main issue is the digital out that exists on zp80 but not on the zp100. if zp100 had digital out, it would be my preference .

I listen to RnB, Rap, some Pop and drum % Base. My plan was to feed the Zone player to an Amp in the Longe that has digital Input.

My question is :-

1) Is there a noticeable deference in hooking up a ZP80 (via RCA/digital out) to an Amp that can take both
    2) Is the Amp on the Zp100 as good a quality to pump out music to good set of speakers in comparison to using a dedicated amp.
    3) due to a limitation of a need to have 1st box on a wired network, it is impossible for me to stick the router & and zp box it the hallway where my router & NAS is cos willbecome messy. Anyway of getting round this ?. can I get a homeplug and put the ZP box somewhere else ?. If possible, is there any performance hit?
    4) Can a NAS be hooked straight to a ZP box ?
    5) can a ZP box be hooked straight to a computer instead of the router ?
    6) where is the cheapest place in the UK to get a sonos
    7) is there a newer version / new product (from same/other vendors ) comming soon to the market that i need to be aware off , hence delay my purchase
    8) My ideal combination will probably be a controller + 1 ZP80 + 1 ZP 100. anywhere selling that combination ?

sorry about so many questions

cheers

css_jay99

I checked out the Sonos a while ago and decided it was too dear for my needs. I went for a Squeezebox 3 as I was attaching it to my amp anyway. It sure doesn't have the delicious remote that the Sonos gets though - I get round it by using my Windows Mobile phone with wifi to control it round the house.

Comment

Originally posted by Zorba
      I checked out the Sonos a while ago and decided it was too dear for my needs. I went for a Squeezebox 3 as I was attaching it to my amp anyway. It sure doesn't have the delicious remote that the Sonos gets though - I get round it by using my Windows Mobile phone with wifi to control it round the house.

my mobile is a windows mobile (O2 orbit) .
      which softwere are you using and are there any setup guides for these about ?

Also I presume you stored your music on your HDD in mp3 format, can you play them off the Squeezbox Gapless ?

cheers

css_jay99

Comment

Originally posted by css_jay99
        Hi guys,

i am planning on buying a sonos music system but having difficulty deciding btw zp80 /zp100. the main issue is the digital out that exists on zp80 but not on the zp100. if zp100 had digital out, it would be my preference .

I listen to RnB, Rap, some Pop and drum % Base. My plan was to feed the Zone player to an Amp in the Longe that has digital Input.

My question is :-

1) Is there a noticeable deference in hooking up a ZP80 (via RCA/digital out) to an Amp that can take both
        2) Is the Amp on the Zp100 as good a quality to pump out music to good set of speakers in comparison to using a dedicated amp.
        3) due to a limitation of a need to have 1st box on a wired network, it is impossible for me to stick the router & and zp box it the hallway where my router & NAS is cos willbecome messy. Anyway of getting round this ?. can I get a homeplug and put the ZP box somewhere else ?. If possible, is there any performance hit?
        4) Can a NAS be hooked straight to a ZP box ?
        5) can a ZP box be hooked straight to a computer instead of the router ?
        6) where is the cheapest place in the UK to get a sonos
        7) is there a newer version / new product (from same/other vendors ) comming soon to the market that i need to be aware off , hence delay my purchase
        8) My ideal combination will probably be a controller + 1 ZP80 + 1 ZP 100. anywhere selling that combination ?

sorry about so many questions

cheers

css_jay99

I've got a Sonos. I went for a ZP100 and a ZP80 kit - 4 ZP's and 2 controllers. It's a great system. I'll answer what I can.

1/ Not from what I've read, but I'm only using analogue at the moment.

2/ It's generally acknowledged to be pretty good by the user community. Sounds fine to me. I have one ZP100 powering a pair of old Linn Index II's and the other one a set of bookshelf Wharfdales. The ZP80's are much smaller and neater - I have one ZP80 attached to the 5.1 surround and the other to a set of powered PC speakers in the study.

3/ I've partly networked the house so my first zoneplayer is wired to a wall port in the lounge to a patch panel in the loft. I have read that you can get around this tho. Check the www.sonos.com forums for help.

4/ I would have thought so but my NAS is attached to a 100MB switch. A ZP100 has 4 RJ45's and an ZP80 has 2.

5/ Yes to my knowledge.

6/ It's pretty much the same across the board really. Ebay have some deals from the States, but I bought one of mine from dabs (had a £70 evoucher to get it cheaper) and the other from simplysonos - who sometimes throw in controller docks, etc. SimplyAutomate I think did occasional deals too.

7/ Don't know. Sonos is a very polished product though. All reviews I've read are positive.

8/ You can get a Sonos Bundle 130 for £700 now. From sonos.com or simplysonos.co.uk for starters. Very good deal, much cheaper than when I was looking. Humph.

Check the www.sonos.com forums for the rest. Lots of UK users on there.

HTH

Comment

Thank you very much guys,

this has been very informative !

Comment

Working...
          X