• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Expenses - VDU/TV

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expenses - VDU/TV

I want to get a new TV, and most LCD's on the market are currently supporting input from the PC. Can I wangle this to go via the company and put the unit(tv) down as a PC monitor becuase it has this ability? Cheeky I know, but I fancy spoiling meeself.

Originally posted by weboo
    I want to get a new TV, and most LCD's on the market are currently supporting input from the PC. Can I wangle this to go via the company and put the unit(tv) down as a PC monitor becuase it has this ability? Cheeky I know, but I fancy spoiling meeself.

You can claim for anything you like. The trick is justifying it to HMRC when they start asking questions. If you think you can justify it and explain why the expensive monitor you claimed for is currently in the living room showing Richard and Judy then go ahead.

Otherwise stop being so bloody stupid and just pay for it yourself. Declare an extra dividend to cover the cost if you need to or take a directors loan and pay it back over a few months. It's not worth the consequences for the sake for a couple of hundred quid at most.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Are you confident of your ability to persuade an inspector that it's legit and that he doesn't need to crawl over your affairs? You could always pay your taxes like you're meant to.

Comment

claim what you want......

....the more idiots who do this the less chance sensible folk have of getting an an investiagtion...
        Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Originally posted by Bluebird
          claim what you want......

....the more idiots who do this the less chance sensible folk have of getting an an investiagtion...
          Hear, hear...

Comment

Thanks for the replies. The TV in mind is not that expensive(300 quid) and I think its probably just worth avoiding any questions later on and paying for it myself. Cheers

Comment

Is it still 30 years maximum for fraud?

Comment

If you use it as a monitor then no reason why not in my opinion. If its legitimately used for business then it is a legitimate expense.
                "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect
                  If you use it as a monitor then no reason why not in my opinion. If its legitimately used for business then it is a legitimate expense.

Quite true, but the OP clearly intended to use it as a TV and not a monitor and is specifically buying a television with a PC input and not simply an LCD monitor.
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                  X