• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How good is Lewis Hamilton

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How good is Lewis Hamilton

Ok I know he has a great car, but still... "I've seen it on computer games!"

Hamilton had never driven Montreal's Circuit Gilles Villeneuve before his victory, but he had at least practised on McLaren's simulator in Woking.

"I actually haven't been on the simulator for Indianapolis," said the 22-year-old.

"I've seen it on computer games but I don't really know what to expect

How many rookies start in the best car?
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Damon Hill did.
      Any then they put him in the Arrows.
      Poor thing.

Comment

Originally posted by chicane
        Damon Hill did.
        Any then they put him in the Arrows.
        Poor thing.
        Yes and he almost won a grand prix in it, until the gearbox stuck. Also, Hill wasn't one of the greats but almost won in his first year thanks to the car.
        So let's not get all ITV F1 just yet.
        The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss
          How many rookies start in the best car?
          He has the same car as Alonso who has far more experience. Yes he has the best car and it's almost a shame he does because people are implying without it he wouldn't be winning. He has an enourmous amount of talent. For a rookie to come into F1 and do what he has done in his first year is pretty incredible.

Comment

Originally posted by XTC
            He has the same car as Alonso who has far more experience. Yes he has the best car and it's almost a shame he does because people are implying without it he wouldn't be winning. He has an enourmous amount of talent. For a rookie to come into F1 and do what he has done in his first year is pretty incredible.
            That's because without the best car he wouldn't be winning (he's won 1). The rookie thing is hyperbole because few rookies get a good seat. Jos Verstappen used to beat schumacher in karts, he never had a top drive so was never anywhere in F1. Mika Salo was on the pace straight away for Ferrari when schumacher broke his leg. It's much easier in the best car.

Comment

He's still good though.

So was Button but he preferred the playboy side of things - shagging, partying and all that stuff. I can't understand it myself.

Comment

Ok here's another rookie who had the best car, Is JV one of the greats?

1996 Jacques Villeneuve

Grand Prix/Date/Team/Grid/Race Pos
                Australian 10/03/1996 Williams-Renault 1 2
                Brazilian 31/03/1996 Williams-Renault 3 Ret
                Argentine 07/04/1996 Williams-Renault 3 2
                European 28/04/1996 Williams-Renault 2 1
                San Marino 05/05/1996 Williams-Renault 3 11
                Monaco 19/05/1996 Williams-Renault 10 Ret
                Spanish 02/06/1996 Williams-Renault 2 3
                Canadian 16/06/1996 Williams-Renault 2 2
                French 30/06/1996 Williams-Renault 6 2
                British 14/07/1996 Williams-Renault 2 1
                German 28/07/1996 Williams-Renault 6 3
                Hungarian 11/08/1996 Williams-Renault 3 1
                Belgian 25/08/1996 Williams-Renault 1 2
                Italian 08/09/1996 Williams-Renault 2 7
                Portuguese 22/09/1996 Williams-Renault 2 1
                Japanese 13/10/1996 Williams-Renault 1 Ret

Championship 2nd

4 wins, 3 poles, 12 podiums

under the current points system would have prob been champion
                Last edited by Bagpuss; 14 June 2007, 14:38.

Comment

Yes, but there's a big difference between being 60 seconds behind your more experienced teammate but still getting second because the car has such a big advantage, and performing more or less the same as your more experienced teammate and sometimes beating him.

I'm a bit sick of the media coverage, but he undoubtedly has talent.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

The debate about Hamilton's Academic.

Comment

Working...
                    X