• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Start-up costs: quick question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Start-up costs: quick question

Hi

Just wondered if start-up costs such as company formation and contract review are claimable as an expense once trading?

Thanks.

Originally posted by RockyBalboa
    Hi

Just wondered if start-up costs such as company formation and contract review are claimable as an expense once trading?

Thanks.
    Yes. Why wouldn't they be?
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I have heard one argument that as the business was not actually set-up, the formation costs and contract review cannot be counted as expenses.

Comment

I have heard one argument that as the business was not actually set-up, the formation costs and contract review cannot be counted as expenses.
        That's rubbish. By 'claim' I assume you mean that the company can pay for these out of trading income. So long as it is genuine business expenditure aimed at generating future taxable trading income then it can be treated as if expended in the first year of trading. In my opinion.

Just google 'pre-trading expenditure', you'll get lots of advice.
        It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

I think that you have heard wrong. Research a little more.

hth

Comment

yes you can i have just done it for Company Formation and Insurance. All done 3 weeks before official commence trading date and a whole 1.5 months before the first money started to appear in company bank.
            Thats the way the cookie crumbles

Comment

Company Formation costs can be paid by the company but the company will not receive tax relief on the cost, this will be "added back" to the profit and so taxed on this amount.

As this should be either free or very little cost this should not be an issue anyway.

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Nixon Williams
                Company Formation costs can be paid by the company but the company will not receive tax relief on the cost, this will be "added back" to the profit and so taxed on this amount.

As this should be either free or very little cost this should not be an issue anyway.

Alan
                Hi Alan,

If the cost is added back to the profit, wont that increase the profit figure?

Thanks.

Comment

He means added back to the tax computation so that tax relief is not given on that amount. The accounting profit will stay the same.

Comment

Working...
                  X