• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How long do I need to keep my subsitence Expense Receipts?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long do I need to keep my subsitence Expense Receipts?

Hello,

Pardon if this question has been asked before.

I have been contracting for a number of years via umbrella companies, recently went back to perm . As like most I have been using the daily and nightly sub claims without sending the umbrella a copy.

I just wanted to know how long do I need to keep the receipts before I can throw them away. I heard it was 24months but some say 5years. I know the IR can go back 5-6 years of records but does that include receipts for trivial stuff.

Sensible thing would be to keep them. But would be nice to know the correct answer if anyone knows.

Many Thanks.

Originally posted by ukcontractor2007
    Hello,

Pardon if this question has been asked before.

I have been contracting for a number of years via umbrella companies, recently went back to perm . As like most I have been using the daily and nightly sub claims without sending the umbrella a copy.

I just wanted to know how long do I need to keep the receipts before I can throw them away. I heard it was 24months but some say 5years. I know the IR can go back 5-6 years of records but does that include receipts for trivial stuff.

Sensible thing would be to keep them. But would be nice to know the correct answer if anyone knows.

Many Thanks.
    Keep all your accounts for 6 years would be my advice, I keep mine in the loft in a folder in a box - nothing special but they're accessible if required.

Comment

Ltd co accounts have to be kept for 3 years, Plc's for 6.

Depends how much space you have. Wack them in the loft and forget about them.

Comment

For tax requirements all companies need to retain their records for six years, the three year thing for private companies is company law

Comment

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/pdfs/sabk4.htm

It depends on what the records are supporting. Can be as little as 22 months or or can be 6 years.

Comment

Working...
          X