• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

laptop making funny noises

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

laptop making funny noises

hi huys, my laptop seems to be makin a whirring noise which goes up and doen steadily the whole time its on, its plugged in to the mains power or not. ive changed the hard disk about 2 years ago, and added some RAM.

is it going to blow up? any ideas what this is or how to stop it?

Originally posted by young veteran
    hi huys, my laptop seems to be makin a whirring noise which goes up and doen steadily the whole time its on, its plugged in to the mains power or not. ive changed the hard disk about 2 years ago, and added some RAM.

is it going to blow up? any ideas what this is or how to stop it?
    get some headphones or turn the tele up...

It could be the cooling fan is going mad if the HDD is getting hotter the the old one used to. Have you checked the fan speeds? You may be able to get a FW upgrade...get a MAC.....I never hear my fan at all.....

Comment

ok its quite an old laptop, im gonna raise the laptop to allow more air to pass through underneath and turn the music up i think for now, thanks angus

Comment

Originally posted by young veteran
        ok its quite an old laptop, im gonna raise the laptop to allow more air to pass through underneath and turn the music up i think for now, thanks angus
        Just don't stack it on a pile of old newspapers.....

Comment

had this recently with a mate's laptop - do you have pets? Might be worth getting the hoover on the fan outlets to get the fluff out.

Comment

Yes - I had it too - noisey fan going off the whole time.

press fn+Z together does the trick

- mine was sounding like a vacuum cleaner.

This resets the temprature sensor on the BIOS.

I bet its a DELL - sh1te power management + sh1te BIOS

Comment

better still take apart the fan assembly and clean out all those dead skin cells which now make up a nice foam sponge there that looks like it should belong there!
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
              X