• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Changing ADSL ISPs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing ADSL ISPs

Has anybody done this?

Apparently you get a "MAC" code and they can make it all happen with very little downtime. But as my current ISP is Pipex (who are suing me for money I've already paid them), I don't trust them to speak my weight. Obviously I don't want to have no broadband and email going into a black hole for 2 weeks.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Originally posted by VectraMan
    Has anybody done this?

Apparently you get a "MAC" code and they can make it all happen with very little downtime. But as my current ISP is Pipex (who are suing me for money I've already paid them), I don't trust them to speak my weight. Obviously I don't want to have no broadband and email going into a black hole for 2 weeks.
    The "code" is allow one provider to take over the line from another provider as they are identified in a telecoms exchange. Could be that Pipex may well refuse to release this whilst they are in dispute with you.

I'm not sure what the answer would be if they refused. Do you need broadband for business purposes?

I guess a strange analogy would be to have your business car serviced and the garage then hold the keys for 'non-payment' when you have paid. Technically they are effecting your ability to run your business and that may well be dodgey.

It's a good little conundrum this one (not wishing to diminish the hassle you're having, VM)

Comment

To be honest, I doubt Pipex have any idea what they're doing, and I expect it'll get sorted once I phone them up.

My concern is that as soon as I ask for the code they cut the service straight away, and then I find the new provider (Zen I think I'm going to pick) doesn't get it sorted for a week.

Comment

To be honest, I doubt Pipex have any idea what they're doing, and I expect it'll get sorted once I phone them up.

My concern is that as soon as I ask for the code they cut the service straight away, and then I find the new provider (Zen I think I'm going to pick) doesn't get it sorted for a week.
        According to this page:
        http://www.uswitch.com/Broadband/Swi...Providers.html

"How much down time using a MAC code?
        There should only be down time of approximately 20 minutes during the transfer of service."

Note careful use of the word "should"...

Comment

Shouldnt be an issue.

It isnt when they give you the mac code that matters - its when you use it to xfr. I think a mac is only valid for 30 days or something. As long as you have paid your pipex (probably in advance?) and you move within the notice period it shouldnt be an issue. Ask the new isp how long its likely to take from their point of view.

After all the adsl is all bt the change is just the login and routing.

I moved from +net when they went through one of their crap phases without any problem. They even let me go without giving notice (sometimes pays to be pleasant to the customer service techs)

This is one reason why I have my own domains - you can control the mail direction whatever the isp and not need to worry about new addresses etc

Comment

Thanks. I also have a domain, so I can point the e-mail anywhere I want, but I do need to be able to point it somewhere.

I think I'll brave it next week.

Comment

Being a Zen customer myself and being very impressed with their service, I can pretty much guarantee everything will go smoothly at their end, which cuts out at least 50% of the potential problems...
              Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Working...
              X