• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

OS suggestion?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OS suggestion?

I'm looking for an OS to run a laptop in the kitchen, with the following characteristics:

1. Fast boot.
    2. Fast shutdown.
    3. Not harmed by forced power-down.
    4. Only required for web browsing.
    5. Will consider setup that does not allow to save.

6. User requirement: although slapping the lid shut to go into hibernation fits most requirements, it is not on the table for non-tech reasons.

Actually I'd like Palm for Toshiba but I can't find that. Maybe Damn Small Linux live boot on a USB stick?

I would, honestly, consider any version of Windows that might do it. But you seem to be stuck with the whole payload or nothing. Presumably using old unsupported versions (I have the classic 3.1 disks still) would be asking for trouble?
    God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Why Windows? I would use MAC OS X.....

Comment

sounds like a job for Linux
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by angusglover
        Why Windows? I would use MAC OS X.....
        Originally posted by Spacecadet
        sounds like a job for Linux
        Problem with Mac, that I have railed against since the late 80s, is that you have to buy a lot of expensive hardware to get the software, which is opposed to what software is.

Linux? Which one?
        I do use linux, my current setup is Ubuntu "persistent" live on a USB stick. I like it, but it is no faster than XP to start and stop.

The requirement in a few words is a web browser, that acts as if "always-on" without actually being always on.
        God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

Working...
        X