• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You, Europe, and your rights

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You, Europe, and your rights

The Government is blocking an EU charter which would protect these fundamental rights for British people. Why?

Eugenics

Prohibition of eugenic practices, particularly those aiming at the selection of person. Article 3

What's at stake: Science is seeking to eradicatedisabilities by genetic manipulation. It might be possible for parents to order a "designer" baby.

Expert opinion: "I would be totally opposed to any attempt to socially engineer people."

Ian Gibson, vice-president, Royal Society for Public Understanding of Science

Torture

No one should be subjected to torture. Article 4

What's at stake: Since the invasion of Iraq, British soldiers have found themselves in the dock over the abuse of civilian detainees

Expert opinion: "It is all the more deplorable when some of the most powerful men on earth seek to justify the use of torture."

Moazzam Begg, a torture victim and former prisoner in Guantanamo Bay

Human trafficking

Trafficking in human beings is prohibited. Article 5

What's at stake: This year the UN said that human trafficking had reached epidemic proportions. The Home Office said that in 2003, 4,000 women were trafficked into the UK for sexual exploitation

Expert opinion: "It is shameful that this country is trying to duck out of a charter that specifically prohibits child trafficking."

Louise Christian, human rights lawyer

Data protection

Everyone has the right to the protection of personal data concerning him or her. Article 8

What's at stake: A vast amount of data is stored on each of us already. From 2010, ID cards will be compulsory for anyone applying for a passport in the UK.

Expert opinion: "It's... a safeguard to protect the right of the individual in relation to the state."

Maurice Frankel, director, Campaign for Freedom of Information

Right to protest

Everyone has the right to freedom of assembly and of association. Article 12

What's at stake: Anti-war protests prompted the Government to bring in legislation to prevent unlicensed demos within quarter of a mile of Parliament

Expert opinion: "Allowing dissent in the form of peaceful protest is the hallmark of a country that understands respect for human rights."

Kate Allen, Amnesty International UK director

Working rights

Every citizen of the Union has the freedom to seek employment... in any Member state. Article 15

What's at stake: The Conservatives' fear is that Poles and other east Europeans have taken up jobs and housing at British workers' expense

Expert opinion: "People who come to work in the UK are providing vital services which would collapse without them."

Brendan Barber, TUC general secretary

Deportation

No one can be removed to a state where there is a serious risk of torture. Article 19

What's at stake: The Government's determination to deport terror suspects to countries with questionable human rights records

Expert opinion: "In an effort to circumvent its obligations, the Government has secured 'memoranda of understanding' with Jordan, Libya and Lebanon."

Shami Chakrabarti, Liberty director

Industrial action

Workers have the right to take collective action to defend their interests, including strike action. Article 28

What's at stake: The right to strike has been restricted in the UK since the 1980s. There are rules about ballots andpicketing. None of these restrictions is mentioned in the charter

Expert opinion: "We back the right to strike, to negotiate, to fight against unfair dismissal."

John Monks, European TUC leader

Child exploitation

The employment of children is prohibited... except for limited derogations. Article 32

What's at stake: Could be a threat to family-run corner shops where children help out, or to the pocket money others earn from babysitting or paper rounds

Expert opinion: "To keep children safe, we must ensure parents and employers are clear about how and when children and young people can be employed."

NSPCC statement

Health care

Everyone has the right to preventative health care. Article 35

What's at stake: Earlier this month, The Independent highlighted a new pill that could help hay fever sufferers, which the NHS will not prescribe because of cost. Critics say this clause could open the NHS to litigation

Expert opinion: "This article would not give much backing to any patient who took on the NHS."

Dr Evan Harris, member Medical Ethics Committee
    http://news.independent.co.uk/europe/article2692471.ece

Probably for a similar reason why the UK Government blocked the compulsory two year guarantee for electrical goods that has been implemented by the rest of Europe.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Lambros
      The Government is blocking an EU charter which would protect these fundamental rights for British people. Why?

http://news.independent.co.uk/europe/article2692471.ece
      This is absolute, utter bollocks, if you don't mind me saying so.

The UK is blocking any more EU control over UK legislation, and quite rightly too.

Reading this anyone might think we were running a state where torture is allowed, human trafficking is allowed, and there is no data protection. Anyone with half a brain should know it to be untrue.

Still, the desperate europhiles have done a pretty good job of convincing some people!

Comment

Lambros> What's at stake: Science is seeking to eradicate disabilities by genetic manipulation. It might be possible for parents to order a "designer" baby.

Sounds good to me! I've got 14 kids. I know that's a lot of kids but we're very committed.

We'll keep trying til we get one we like.
        Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Eugenics
          Nah, I want this. I think we would all agree that there are load of chavs, pikies and other undesirables that we would like to stop breading.

Torture
          I want this too. “If I could get my hands on ….”. Yep, we all know someone who we would like to make to suffer extreme amount of pain. OK, I do any way. In fact I have a very long list.

Human Trafficking
          I’ve got mixed feelings about this. If it’s someone we can abuse or do something useful, cheaply, then that fine. If they take our jobs then shoot the ****ers.

Data Protection
          Yeah, I don’t want records of my dodgy dealings held anywhere, but I want everyone else’s to be.

Right to protest
          Yup, I’m up for that too. So long as the buggers don’t get in my way like the road protesters etc.

Working rights
          If it tulip jobs then they can come and do ‘em, but not my job. I fancy the ‘right’ to be able to have a job in a sunny part of the world too.

Industrial Action
          Nah, strikes are a pain in the arse for everyone. If you don’t like it, get another job.

Child exploitation
          Families are there to be exploited. Always have been, always will be.

Health Care
          If you pay for it you should get it. If you haven’t paid **** off and die.

Vote Saxon
          Drivel is my speciality

Comment

Eugenics
            You already have this with on-demand abortion
            How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll
              Eugenics
              You already have this with on-demand abortion

thats a silly misundertstanding

or a joke

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist
                thats a silly misundertstanding
                or a joke

Eugenics is the science of controlled breeding in order to increase desirable inherited characteristics,its founder was Francis Galton.

Is there another Eugenics you are refering to?
                How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Working...
                X